Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Insurance & Registration
Legal Discussion Forum

Is it illegal to have 2 different insurance on a car under 2 different names?

Additional Details
im transfering the car to my name from my mothers, so we would have 1 each on the car until she gets her new one in next couple of ...

How do you get a vehicles title or proof of ownership?
here's my exact situation. i bought my motorcycle in march of 2008. and i can't find my proof of ownership/ title/ pink-slip for the bike!

i currently live in arizona, going to ...

Will my resident address or PO box be on my drivers license?

I cancelled my car insurance and they say they refunded me too much money.. Do i have to pay it back?

Do I have to keep my dmv weight accurate?
At what point do I have to update the DMV records of my weight has changed?

Fourth of July food was too yummy :(
Additional Details
LOL at the government kidnaping program... ...

Can you have more than 1 car insurance policy?

So we hit their car?
Ok I need your help. What would you do.
My neighbors from across the street park their car on the street ALL THE TIME. They have extra space on their drive way but never park on it. It is always ...

Someone hit my car...
and i just want to know how this all works..
i have a toyota camery 92 , i was hit in the back.
my car may be old but i took very good care of it and always took it in to make new changes. <...

I was recently bought a personalised number plate, it appears in Italic writing - is it legal on the road?

Speeding when test driving?
I work in a bodyshop, and today a VW Touran came in for a new wing and repair the door and new wheel, but the owner said after he bumped the car he said it felt funny over 70mph, the was no ...

What is a good car insurance for someone with a lot of speeding tickets?

What is classified as modification on a car for insurance purposes?
I have put items on to my car which are fitted to the better models of car in the same range. I have informed my insurance but want to add more and dont want insurance to go up.

My ...

I had an accident on the freeway, i have insurance but the other driver did not. who pays the bill?

I dont have a permit and im 18 do i still have to get a permit to drive?
im 18 years old and i failed my written test 3 times but thats when i was 17. everyone is telling me that now since im 18 i dont need to go take a written test (permit) im tryin to find some answers ...

I was recently in a car crash and hydroplaned into a car in front of me am I still at fault...?
or is it an act of nature? The ground was wet, I was going about 30 when I noticed a car in front of me stopping and I slowed down to about 10-15 before attempting to apply the break at which point ...

In car accident, NOT my fault, she has NO insurance, I do?
ok, i was in an auto accident. not my fault, i was hit in the rear & she admitted to not paying attention & it is written on the police report! bottom line is, she has no insurance at all &...

I live in California and got a speeding ticket in Vermont. What happens if I don't pay the ticket?

Unbeknown to me I driving a car without tax, what's my punishment?
I bought a car 10 days ago (from cargiant) and wasn't informed that it was sold without tax. The car is 7 months old and I stupidly assumed that would have tax therefore never checked and only ...

How do i sell my car to someone with payments?
i'm trying to sell my car and the only person who wants it, wants to make monthly payments on it. i can't give her the title untill it's paid off but she can't get insurence till ...

Ticket for 'loud non workin muffler'?
well i got pulled over because the cop could not see my license plate....lame huh? and i had it just was bent back into the grill so he went on and asked for insurance, and shame on me i dint have it ...

swilly
Who owns a car the person on the log book or the person who paid for it?

Show all answers
Post your answer

To ∞ N-Beyond
huh?

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Lynx
The person on the log book is the owner according to DVLA & Insurance company... Legally though if you wanted to 'protect' your money spent you could be clear with proof of ownership by purchase if for example you were in a relationship & purchased / assisted your partner... say then you split up - you have retention of evidence that you are the rightful owner despite the named owner on logbook & insured person...

Alex T
Rating
The name on the logbook is the owner of the car. For example I could buy a car, but register it as yours and it wouldn't belong to me, it would be yours.

But if the car is on finance and not paid off yet, then even if my name was on the logbook technically the finance company actually owns the vehicle.

mookno1
Rating
The person on the logbook is the registered owner.

mistress_coleen_01
The person on the registration/ownership/title/log book

mustanger
I'm not sure what you mean by "log book". This sounds like something British. In the U.S. there is a legal "Title" for each car. What ever name or names (more than one may be listed) are on the title as "owners" are the legal owners of the car and it cannot be sold without their signing the title over to a new owner.

Folin
Rating
person on the logbook

shjf47
Rating
The name on the title is the owner of the vehicle. It doesn't matter who paid for the vehicle.

desert camel
whoever payed for it...the reg doc specifies ''the registered keeper is not nessaserlsay the legal owner''...
EDIT...
get your document,section 5,in between the ''registerd keeper'' and the name youll see C.4c-it tells you there....

Tiny*teen
Rating
The person on the log book is the keeper and responsible for it but not necessarily the owner.

TATRAFAN
Rating
WHO EVER HAS THE RECEIPT OF SALE FOR IT.
THE REGISTERED KEEPER IS NOT NECESSARILY THE OWNER.
YOU MAY HAVE A CAR ON FINANCE WITH YOUR NAME ON THE REGISTRATION DOCUMENT BUT YOU DON`T OWN THE CAR, THE FINANCE COMPANY DOES.

&lt;-----&gt;
Rating
As basically everyone else has already said....

The person who paid for the car is the owner. The person on the logbook is the registered keeper. The registered keeper should be the person who is responsible for the car (as any speeding tickets etc. will be sent to them).

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Thursday, November 27, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy