Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Insurance & Registration
Legal Discussion Forum

My sisters's being charged 250 a month for car insurance on a 2000 saturn?
is she being ripped off? She's a fairly new driver with no ...

Speeding Fines for the inexperienced.?
I feel that drivers caught speeding should be fined dependant on their age.
The younger they are, the more they should pay.
Anyone agree?...

How do I get compensation from a DUI accient where the other person has state min. coverage?
Hit by a DUI driver have had neck surgery and looking at another & can not return to my job according to the doctors. Driver only has state min. coverage and nothing to go after. Where should I...

Car insurance costs more than car is worth?
One of my friends works a minimum wage job, and his car insurance for one year costs more than he paid for his 87 Mazda truck. He paid $1300 for the truck and his insurance is $1800 per year. Between ...

I have received a letter from ins. company saying that i was involed of car accident. i can't drive for 2yrs.?
i have just received a letter from insurance company that i was involved in an accident. i can't understand why? i don't evan have a drivers license, they were taken away from me for 2 yrs....

Dad died, car (title) in his name, how does spouse(wife), get title in her name?
what must she do to get title in her name. what documents needed and is there a charge....

Which one goes first....buy a car or the insurance?

Someone's hit my car in a company vehicle - how will this proceed?
Today a man backed into my car whilst it was parked. He was driving a company vehicle. My car has suffered a smashed grill and number plate, and a chip/ding to the bonnet. I took his details (...

Im a 17 yr old lad what nice car can i get with cheep insurance?
i am 17 and realy into cars, have been for ages. i have a motor bike since i was 16 but now i want a car. and all my freinds no how much i lyk cars, and it wud be so embarasing turning up to collage ...

Is it illegal to drive with an old style paper licence (UK)?

My car was totaled. I have been told that they get my car. Why? It belongs to me.?
If I own the car why do they get it. I pay insurance to cover the damage done to my car if it is in a accident. Is this some unwritten law?...

Learning to drive, what can i expect?
Ive just booked my first driving lesson and i have no idea what to expect. the guy on the phone sounded really nice and reassuring, so im not nervous about being with a stranger,but i know if i cant ...

Question about car insurance please answer ASAP?
Well today I passed my driving test and want to get on the road asap. I dont currently have a car but am going to drive my mothers car until I buy one next week. My question is can I get insurance on ...

Hi,i am 15 my my birthday is 31 December,And i was wondering if i can send of the forms of my provisional?
A week or two before my birthday (you have to be 16 to get one)

Do you think that they will accept it and send it of after the 31?

Thank ...

I caught the guy who hit my car. Sort it through insurance or court?
2 weeks ago i went out of my house to the car and found a big dent and scratch in the side. There was no note or anything to say who did it and they had obviously just hit my car and drove off. I had ...

Expired driving licence?
I was asked by a 70 something year old man what happens if he was not notified his driving licence due renewel and he has just discovered it expired some months ago.I said notify the licence office ...

I still have my paper licence! ?
I'm moving to a new address, so will have to inform DVLA of change but will I incur any penalties for not changing to a photo licence?...

Is it true that if u have no road fund licence your insurance is invalid even with regards to a third party?
I ask this as there are a large number of untaxed cars in my area and the police will do nothing about it as they say they have to see them parked on a public highway. The DVLA cannot trace these ...

I was hurt in car accident can i use my daughter insurance pip without her cost going up i dont drive?
i was in taxi when it happend i want to know will this make her insurance go up she is the only driver in the home i do have a lawyer who wants me to use this is it wise please help ...

How much would it cost to renew expired licence plates ?
mine expired in 2001 so idk how much it would ...

cathysmith1802000
If my car is insured can I let my grandson drive it If he is not listed on my insurance?

Show all answers
Post your answer

Mel
I would say no. Check with your insurance provider. But from what I know to be covered on someone elses insurance if you are not listed as an occasional driver you have to be over 25 and from a different family.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

butterflytam1970
Rating
I would check with yopur insurance company. Mine won't cover any driver under 25 unless my car is stolen.

Bruce J
Rating
Generally speaking...it's not a good idea.

Even if the car is covered, the injuries suffered by the parties involved may not be. Call your agent to make sure of the exact coverage. It only takes one little slip-up these days to lose your home and your retirement savings. People will sue at the drop of a hat....

JT B ford man
Rating
Does he live with you and how old is he , Most insurance will cover someone that is driving your car you see the insurance covers the car and who ever is driving it hope this helps,

Dave S
Rating
It depends on how your policy is written. Some policies, such as mine, excludes any driver under the age of 25. Rates are much lower. If he is going to be driving your car frequently you should probably should have him listed on your policy. If he drives it only occasionally, maybe not. The best thing to do is talk to your insurance agent.

Julie
Rating
I think it depends on the state. You should probably go to your local DMV and pick up a driving book. There is usually a section on insurance in there.

I know in MA (my state) if he is insured on any vehicle and your vehicle is insured he can drive it as long as you don't live in the same house.

oklatom
Probably, but you need to check first by reading your policy or calling and asking your agent if your grandson is under age 25 since some policies will not cover under 25 drivers.

mbrcatz
Rating
Loaded question. For an ABSOLUTE answer, you're going to have to ask your agent.

On MOST (but not all!) policies, if you lend your car to someone less than once a month, less than 10X a year, and they do NOT live with you, you won't have a coverage problem. But if they are a regular driver, and/or LIVE in your household, you most likely need to list them.

There ARE POLICIES OUT THERE that flat out say something like, "failure to list a driver, when listing that driver would have resulted in additional premium, voids coverage".

Now, some people here are going to say, "the insurance follows the car, not the driver". But that's NOT TRUE 100% OF THE TIME, or in all states. Do NOT take coverage advise from someone who's never even SEEN your policy. Talk to your agent and ask them.

ken erestu
Rating
When you give someone/anyone permission to drive your car, the vehicle is insured, not the driver.

If he lives in your household, he must be added to your list of eligible drivers. If not, then the vehicle is insured when he drives it.

Hope this helps.

sticky nikki
As an insurance Agent, I think I can answer this. But laws do vary from state to state. IN MOST STATES, As long as you have at least state minimum required insurance, any occasional driver is covered under your policy for liability purposes. Therefore, if you let your grandson use your car to go to the mall, and he hits someone's car in the parking lot, your insurance will pay up to your limits for the damages to the other car. If he lives with his parents and is on their policy, and is borrowing your car because his is broke down, that car is taking place of his usual car as a substitute, and is covered. However, if he lives with you, or you loan the car to him for an indefinite period of time, you may want to consider adding him to your policy or atleast having him purchase his own.

Lucy
I believe your grandson will be insured as long as he has permission from you to drive your car & he is just driving it occasionally. Just call your insurance agent to make sure you are insured for an occasional driver. If your grandson is taking the car for an extended period then he needs to be listed as a "secondary" driver.

the_gunfighter_45acp
Rating
If hes 25 or older most insurance companies give automatic coverage to who ever is driving your car..

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Monday, September 1, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy