Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Insurance & Registration
Legal Discussion Forum

What happens to you if you leave the state and don't pay your car payment?
My sister and her husband moved from one state to another and haven't paid their car payment in two months and still haven't notified the car lot. They just don't have the money to pay ...

My car was hit and it was my fault, I don't understand?
I parked my car in the parking lot. I looked my left side and it was clear. Then I opened my door, and was going to come out. Right at that moment, another car came to my left side parking space and ...

Oh my God I have no M.O.T?
My car tax is due at the end of the month and like a responsible driver have got out all the documents i need to renew it before it expires, however, i thought the M.O.T ran out at the same time but, ...

MOT Question?
Can you legally drive a car to a garage to have an mot and new tyres fitted, would not want points ...

CAN you Change your VIN numbers on a car?
hey need help asap ..my ex left his car at my house and I cant get anything on it cause its in his name is ther a way around all that .. can you get new vin numbers?? please help!! ...

If someone goes into the back of a car, when only got third, party, fire and theft, would i lose out?
on my insurance, and would it cover it. it's my daughters car, first car and insurance,so she hopes that insurance will cover it all, as not only has she a dent in car but boot wouldn't ...

I broke my nose leaning on my friends car, will filing a claim do any good?
I was leaning on his car when he turned it on and it jolted back, and i slid off and broke my nose. I think i may have hit it on a small rock. Will filing claim on his auto insurance do any good (O...

I am in uk for 6m and had my usa drivers licence stolen. How do I get a replacement licence in uk? ?
Do I report it stolen, I have a friend who wants to put me on her insurance but i need my licence details which i do not have? H...

Car accident and I left the scene ?
So it was a minor crash, nobody injured and little car damage. we both got out of the car talked then the guy asks for my insurance, I say okay and get in the car, noticing I have no damage, the ...

If my car is "totaled" and the other drivers insurance is covering me, what value do they use to give me my $
My car was hit while parked and the other driver is at fault, his insurance (allstate) has to give me money to get another car because mine is "totalled". I was wondering what value they ...

Car crash in a car park?
is it true that if you have a accident in a car park its at the owners risk and car insurers wont want to ...

I'm 21 and I still live at home. My car insurance company is demanding...?
that I show proof of my Dad's insurance on his own vehicle. They said if I don't, they must add him to mine. Why is that? He NEVER drives my car! He has no insurance, so I cant show proof. I...

Who do you have Auto Insurance with?
Who do you use? What do you pay? Do you think it is fair? Do you have full coverage? And what State are you in? Accidents or traffic voilations?

I live in Delaware and I have full coverage ...

I was in an car accident that wasn't my fault, but the other person's insurance won't cover it. What can I do?
I was recently in a car accident and it wasn’t my fault. I got a police report (I went to the police station after the accident) and filed a claim. After talking to her insurance company I am told ...

Do parking tickets go on your record and count towards points on your driving record?

My car MOT runs out in a month, if it is retested before expiry and fails is previous cert stil valid?

Is there any grace period for expired MOT?
I am 26 days late in having my car tested hope there is not a fine?...

Can I pay a damage bill from the other parties insurance Co to avoid my own company paying & save my discount?

Additional Details
My girlfreind who is a named driver on a provisional licencee scratched a parked car in a car park whilst manouvering. There is a 4 inch scratch on the ladies car. We ...

What do I do if a car I want to buy has no title?
I am interested in buying a vehicle, but the seller does not have the title. What can go wrong? And what is there to worry about? (What is the bad? lol) And, also...what can I do? Thanks....

How long does it usually take 4 the police to find you're vehicle when it's been stolen?
I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee that truck runs so good and someone stole it Tuesday.The police up here in the Washington DC area seem like they're taking there time.My pocket book and everything was ...

eric
If a driver gets your license plate number because you caused an accident and didn't stop, are you in trouble?
This is an hypothetical question. Say suppose you bump the car ahead of you because you're too close. But the bump is enough to push that car (Car A) ahead into the car ahead of it. You assume that it's just a bump and there's probably no damage, so you keep on going. This is on the interstate, so you go into another lane to get away. The driver that you bumped gets your license plate number and reports it to the police. Are you in trouble even if there's no damage or evidence that your car bumped his car?

And also, if the driver didn't get a license plate number, would the accident be Car A's fault? And even if the driver did get a license plate number and says you caused the accident, could it still be Car A's fault for being too close to the car ahead of him?

If you work in insurance or a cop, please answer.
Additional Details
First, I want to assure everyone this never happen and I know hit and run is bad.

But, isn't it possible Car A could be blamed for the accident? (because if that car wasn't so close to the car ahead, then the car that bumped him wouldn't have pushed him into the car ahead). And also, this story about Car A being bumped sounds like a story anybody would make up to avoid being at fault (even though it might be true). So, I think that the car that bumped Car A could get away with it. What do you think? Be honest. But of course I guess they could match paint between Car A and the car that bumped it if someone got the license plate number, but with the shock of having an accident and the car that bumped it speeding away fast, chances of getting the license plate number are slim.

Lastly, let me assure that I'm not planning to bump a car and I don't follow closely.

Show all answers
Post your answer

IAM
If the police didn t witness a situation or accident they do not investigate much. if there is a witness and this person suffred property damage they will investigate especially because it would be considered hit-run casa. If the person was bumped- pushed and caused damage to a third party vehicle this person could be in trouble because this person car will be blamed, so the person will protect him/herself by testifying that another driver pushed the car and drove off. if the third party vehicle and second party vehicle didnt suffer any damage at all, then they probably would not need to have their insurance involved or the police. But still if they got your license plate they may call you and ask to initiate investigation for hit and run and remember you have to stop, leave a note or at least apologize if you didnt cause damage is just courtesy getting off the vehicle, saying you are sorry, make sure the person is okay even if it is obvious nothing big happenned. People work hard to earn money and our vehicles are our "babies" just showing concern for the other person's wellbeing can get forgiveness easily. ...doing something that shows care is just fair.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

mak
The law states you have to stop. If the license plate number was recorded the police will more than likely track the person down at their home or place of employment. It may be considered hit and run which could lead to an arrest.

Nikki
Yes, you can get into trouble, especially if the cars' owners claimed that there was damage. The point is anytime you bump into a car, you ALWAYS are supposed to stop even if the damage is minimal. If you do not stop, then it is considered a hit and run.

luv.kiks14
Rating
YES! You should try to turn in yourself first, though. You could end up getting in even more trouble for ignoring what happened and acting like it's no big deal. You should also try to find out who you bumped into and apologize to that person for the trouble that you caused that they are probably going through.

Jojo F
i'm a cop in ga i would run the tag through the computer and see who the vehicle comes back to then i would go to there residence and ask if they were in an accident, get there story and get the other person story compare stories, then make a decision to who was at fault and write that peron a ticket and if neither one of there stories added up i'd write both of them tickets, it also depends on what they say and how they act as well though, i've dealt with this situation a lot and every case i write both of them a ticket cause it always seems like there both lying to me about something, so for both of them there insurance goes up

Kenshin
Rating
toatlly- you just broke the law and will get a fine for sure if not jail time

No 666
Rating
yes,you left the scene of an accident.it is big trouble.

oklatom
You've got the right answers from everyone here. Yes, it's leaving the scene of an accident, and you can be arrested for it. Yes, the police can find you with your plate number.

No, just because you fled that wouldn't make it another persons fault for what you caused. It would just cause an investigation, talking to witnesses as to the make and color of your car, paint scrapings, things like that.

Don't ever assume there is no damage just because the bump was minor. Always stop and find out.

bankchick
Rating
YES. that's called a hit and run and one can get in BIG TROUBLE for it.

FirefighterBrad
hypothetically you are your friend could be in some trouble, tho you didn't cause any damage you fled the scene of accident. That is never good, its best you call yourself in right away. First of all your gonna get a ticket for following to close, second ur gonna get a ticket for fleeing the scene.

mbrcatz
If there's no contact, you're not in trouble. If there is contact, that's criminal, it's called "leaving the scene of a property damage accident".

You can't possibly assess the damages, while driving, without stopping.

And if you're bumping a car hard enough to push it into another vehicle, WHILE ON THE HIGHWAY, you can be darned tootin' sure there's going to be some damage.

Depending on state law, rear end pileups can either be the fault of the very last guy, OR, everyone is responsible for the damage to the car immediately ahead of them, OR, you're only reponsible for the REAR END damage of the car ahead of you.

That's because, in order to have these damages, ALL OF THE CARS must be tailgating. If Car A is a proper distance behind Car C, then Car B can't POSSIBLY push into them - unless it's a tractor trailer or something.

So the answer depends on the state the accident occurs in. Apologies to the grammar police, for that preposition at the end.

shjf47
Rating
Answer to the 1st question. If the driver got your license plate number and turned it in to the police, an investigation would begin. If you were found to have bumped a car and did not stop you would be responsible for any damage to the car you hit and the the car that was hit by the car you hit. Also, you would most likely be cited for leaving the scene of an accident. Answer to 2nd part, If the driver didn't get a license plate number you would most likely get away with it. Unless the driver of the car you hit could prove the car he hit did something to cause his being hit from the rear, the accident would be charged to the vehicle that hit him (the car you hit).

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Saturday, April 19, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy