Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Insurance & Registration
Legal Discussion Forum

 Truck Accident/Bumper?
My lil brother moved my fiance's truck in a parking lot to load items for a dance, and while he was backing up he hit a car and made a dent(on passenger side of car door). The owner of the car ...

 Is there anywhere online I can find out the current "Book Value" of a car?
I'm trying to look up the book value of my car which is going to be a "write off". Just to get an idea of the value.
Additional Details
Sorry I should have stated that i&#...

 Motorcycle/car no claims bonus - more than one policy?
I currently insure one vehicle (a motorcycle,but I don't think it makes a difference in this case), that uses two years no claims bonus. I'm also planning a long tour of Europe, on my bike. ...

 How do i claim a vehicle thats been dump and no one wants?
its been parked in our communal car park in bondi australia for about 2 years and no one knows anything about it? registration ran out a year or so ago and the windows are smashed and its been left ...

 How much does it cost to insure a motorcycle?
My boyfriend is looking to fix up an old motorcycle and was wondering how much it would cost him to insure it for the summer. He's 20 and has never had any driving problems. It's and older ...

 Will a speeding ticket affect my insurance if i take a driving safety course?
Thats exactly what i need to ...

 Canceling Car Registration...?
I recently had to get rid of my car because it's no longer drivable. Problem is I live in OH but the plates are PA. Do I need to take them off and send them to Penn DOT or just let the bank I ...


 What registration is a 1996 car?

 Whats the cheapest insurance company to go with?

 How much is New Jersey's ONLINE car registration?
In their website they talk about a "convenience fee" but don't say how much. I wonder if it is $5-$10 or more) it is convenient for them NOT to tell you until you finish the process....

 SR 22, help im confused?
My boyfriend has a drug conviction and is required to get a SR 22. The thing is he did not have a drivers license at the time of the conviction, nor was he driving. I was driving MY car. Can I ...

 How do i get insurance when im 16 in kansas?
I am 16 and i live with my dad and am buying a car. are there any companies in south central kansas that insure teens without parents or how do i go about getting insurance..my dads company does not ...

 What is the minimum age at which you can get a class c rivers license without a drivers education or hardship?

 Can my mother report my car stolen?
Okay so I am pressing charges against my Mom's husband because he physically attacked me. My mom is not defending me at all and is taking his side over mine. Anyways, my Mother is the cosigner ...

 How many times can you take your road test in Minnesota i need help with this one guys pleaaase i heard 3 tho?

 When you have your permit?
if you get caught driving without an adult in the car when you have your permit how long do you have to wait to get your license?...

 Just a question about Geico's insurance rates versus their advertisements?
for as long as I can remember Geico has always used the advertisement pitch about how much money you can save with them. What I'd like to know is there some kind of communication breakdown ...

 I'm 17, can i get my provisional license without a learner's permit?
i'm a junior in high school, from nj, 17, and i just passed my birthday. can I go get my provisional license without a learner's permit? i never got my learner's ...

 If i have G1 Driving licence , nd i was driving by myself , what trouble i can get if i got caught by policee?

How to go about getting a title to an abandoned vehicle that's been parked in my yard for at least 5 years?
A guy brought the car to my shop to get fixed. I contacted him about the cost to fix it and he said go ahead that he had the money. When finished with it he was contacted several times about picking it up. Tried to contact him again and number is no longer in service and that was about 5 years ago if not longer. Now I have over $1500.00 in this vehicle that has just been sitting in front of my house because I can't get a title. I've tried several things and still no luck. The letters that I've mailed to the owner has even been returned. Any advice or ideas would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Show all answers
Post your answer

Not knowing what State your located in I can only give you the procedure here In NY State/NY City. Is your shop a registered repair shop with a registration Number? (Does your state require this) If so, there is a procedure called "Garagman's Lien" It starts with a Legal repair order. Then after a period of time that you TRIED to contact your customer and couldn't you contact an "Auto Shop Auctioneer" you can probably find them listed in the yellow pages. They cost approximately $150.00. They do all the work, It requires official notification as well as checking with your DMV for Liens and Newspaper notice of auction sale. At which time after everything, you get documents to take to the DMV and If everything goes as planned, you get a Title issued to your shops name IE: John Doe's Auto Repair. Good luck but you need patience. After 5 years I think you do.
One other thing: You need to have copies of ALL repair bills-Parts & Labor. Usually an Invoice.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Karen B
You can do all of the work yourself. This way if you ever have this problem again, you'll be able to process your own vehicles for disposal.
First, you need to contact your local police department. There is a form you will sign (sworn statement) that will authorize you to request vehicle registration information on this car. You HAVE to run the VIN# through the DMV in the state the vehicle is registered in. When you obtain this info. Send certified letters to the owner/ and lienholder on the registration. Even if it's an old lien, you still have to send them a certified letter.
Wait 30 days. Go to your local magistrate court and the will allow you to file a civil claim against the vehicle. I would personally put in the notification that they will be charged storage fees along with the mechanics bill. This way you will have an abandoned vehicle and not a mechanic lien. (much easier to do) There might be a few more steps your state requires, but here in georgia, you will get a court order authorizing you to sell the vehicle. The new owner will take the order to the tag office and have a title back in a few weeks
You must go to your local courthouse- a court ordered judgement against the car is the only way you will obtain ownership. Good luck!

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Wednesday, April 23, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy