Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Embassies & Consulates
Legal Discussion Forum

 How can i contact Fidel Castro of Cuba. I want to write him a letter...anyone knows his address?
His office, home address???...

 Which country do you like most in Africa?

 What is better: A world without borders, or a passport filled with stamps?

 I heard there is a 3 month back-log to get a passport?
Can anyone tell me if this is true. And even if you expedite it, it would still take 3 months....

 How do I get a passport in my married name when I'm not married yet?
My fiance's parents booked our honeymoon under my married name but I woun't have any ID with my married name on it. Can I get a passport with my married name on it?...

 Why do u hate arabs that much we done nothing?
i want 2 ask this question to all americans, we never hated or disrespected u what happend in september 11 was a disaster of course but i am nehal am egyption and a muslim i want to tell u what ...

 Is UN happy with massacres in Lebanon?or It is Dead?

 Will I send the processing fee to get my awardwinning money in south african2010 lottery winning award?
I got a mail from southafrica that i have won the southafrican bid lottery award 2010 . I reply the mail 5 times.the lottery agent Mr. Mark Thambo also reply me 5 times.Also called me twice on phone.H...

 Does a UK citizen need prove of a certain amount of money for travel aboad?

 Is there a petition regarding passports without our Queen on the relevant page?

 Why Don't We Just Be Reasonable, And Move The UN To The Vatican?

 Can a US Citizen be prohibited from returning back to the US? What are the reasons?.?
Been in South America for 11 years. Owes back child support but was told if he returns to US he will be Jailed. How can he pay what he owes if he is in jail?
Additional Details
Do not ...

 Mother is US citizen, father is an alien, have father´s last name, can I still receive US citizenship?
Parents aren´t legally married, mother is US citizen, father is an alien. Can I still get US citizenship even with my father´s last name or is it better to have only my mother´s last name? I was ...

 What do you need when going to a foreign country?

 Can a convited felon get a passport?
my fiance is a convicted felon and he and i want to do alot of traveling so i was wondering if it is possible for him to get a passport.
Additional Details
thanks for ur concern sir alex ...

 Are There going to be Americanos?
Is America going to make americanos, euros except for america? I keep hearing it....

 If I walked into a foreign Embassy, say in N.Y. or L.A. and said I give up my U.S. citizenship...?
... would they give me asylum and let me come to live in their country? I want to leave the U.S. and live someplace else. If I stated my allegiance to a different country, would they take me? (S...

 Does the us recognize foreign marriages?
If I was to marry my foreign g/f in her country, would the us recognize it?...

 I want to marry my turkish boyfriend what documents do we need?

 Are triple citizenships allowed in the US?

If you broke the law in another country's embassy, then would be be subject to that country's laws?
Even if you were a citizen of the country that the embassy stands on and not the country the embassy represents? Also what if you did something in an embassy that is illegal in your country but not in the embassy's?
Additional Details
Lol nothing I was just wondering

Show all answers
Post your answer

You couldn't be extradited because you are already in a foreign country. First you would need an exit visa. Since you would be a criminal then you couldn't get one.
Now since you can't leave, you'd need to file a request for assistance from your home land.

Since most embassies are usually bound by the host country's laws, by nobles oblige, you may be allowed to leave though.
Once you leave, as an alleged criminal in another land, you could then be formally charged and tried in absentia. Once found guilty, they always do that, then you would have to face extradition.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

your are subjected to the The Law of the Country being represented by the embassy.... because Embassies are technically considered as different territories...

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

If you were an American and you were at the American Embassy in whatever country and you did something illegal within that embassy, then you would be subject to the laws of the USA concerning trial and punishment. This scenario holds true for any country. If it was the Chinese Embassy and you were Chinese, then you would be subject to the laws of China, and so forth.

The grounds the embassy stands on are considered to be land of the country's embassy, not the country in which it resides. The grounds of the American Embassy in whatever country is considered to be American soil. If the American Embassy is in Germany, for example, and a German citizen was on its grounds and committed a crime, then they would be subject to trial and punishment in accordance to American law.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

The National-Union believes that you'll be subject under the UN Charter and International Human Rights Law to make sure your rights are protected and the interpretation of their foreign law secured to end a cause of war, http://www.voteprimous.com

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Peter M

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Jim A
You'd be subject to the embassy's laws.

BUT if you did something that was only a crime in your own country, you might be able to be convicted in your home country for the crime committed "abroad". It depends on the geographical extent of the law.
Example - under English law it's illegal to conspire to commit crimes in other countries, even though by definition a conspiracy needs a crime to be intended.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Sir J
No. The Embassy is considered the ground (and country) of the owning country not the one in which it resides. You are subject to the laws of the Embassy's country.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

you would be

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

It depends what crime was committed. Treason or (usually) tax evasion are prosecutable only in the country that was harmed. Theft or murder might -- depending on the respective laws -- be prosecuted in either or both countries. (Murder of a diplomat, and sometimes of any citizen, is typically a crime in the country of the diplomat/citizen's nationality; and it's also a crime where committed.)

Rape or battery or murder of a local national (for example) is probably prosecutable only in the country/state where the crime was committed.

Typical crimes committed in embassies are embezzlement and political protest involving property damage. The case of Mohammed Sacirbey http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammed_Sacirbey , former Bosnian Ambassador to the UN (the mission was not an Embassy, but does have diplomatic status) is an example. His extradition from the USA is pending. He is a dual national of Bosnia and the USA. (A diplomat posted to Washington cannot be a US citizen but this rule seems not to apply to UN missions. The spouse of any diplomat may be a US citizen but does not get diplomatic immunity or tax exemption in that case.)

The immunity of a diplomat may be waived by his/her government to entitle the local country to prosecute: the case of Gueorgui Makharadze, is typical http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gueorgui_Makharadze (vehicular homicide by Georgian Deputy Chief of Mission to the USA, while drunk)

A better example for you might be that of Alfred Erdos, a US diplomat who murdered a colleague at the embasy in Malabo about 1970: http://www.uniset.ca/other/cs5/474F2d157.html . He was prosecuted in the US.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

what did you do?????

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Technically, embassy ground is considered the soil of the nation of embassage: Canadian embassy equals Canadian soil, etc.

Why do I say technically? Embassies are to promote good relations with the host nation. If I visit the Kamanawanalean embassy and I violate Kamanawanalean law by saying something disrespectful about Harry Belafonte's "Day-O" song, they COULD adhere to the letter of the law and try enforcing it.

Doubtful, though. Remember what they're there for. They'd probably just kick you out of the embassy. Hopefully as daylight come, when you wanna go home.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Well, this time even Andy is wrong. An embassy is not, not, not part of the sovereign territory of the country it represents. Diplomatic space is defined and protected under the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations, especially Article 22, which states:

"The premises of the mission shall be inviolable. The agents of the receiving State may not enter them, except with the consent of the head of the mission.

The receiving State is under a special duty to take all appropriate steps to protect the premises of the mission against any intrusion or damage and to prevent any disturbance of the peace of the mission or impairment of its dignity.

The premises of the mission, their furnishings and other property thereon and the means of transport of the mission shall be immune from search, requisition, attachment or execution. "

The Convention also protects the immunity of official representatives of the country whose embassy it is. However, the Convention says nothing about the host country being unable to prosecute its own citizens who happen to commit a crime on the premises. If the act is considered a crime only in the host country, it is still a crime and the person who committed it can be arrested and prosecuted. As you saw above, host country police may enter an embassy in order to arrest a local criminal, at the chief of mission's request: to keep thing tidy, however, they usually wait outside and nab the miscreant as he leaves, with the help and cooperation of the embassy's security officers.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Friday, July 31, 2015 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy