Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Child Adoption
Legal Discussion Forum

 I want to adopt a baby from another country other than the USA? How would I START to do this?

 Is it possible for a single woman to adopt internationally?
As a single woman, would it be possible for me to adopt without a spouse? If it still is possible, would being single significantly hurt my chances?...

 I want to adopt...PLEASE HELP?
I want to adopt a little girl, I wanted to know how do I go about adopting a child? I don't want to pay someone to adopt a child, but I do want one..please SERIOUS HELP!!!...

 Having another child or adopting?
my brother has been married for the last 7 years and together with his wife for 9 years. They already have 2 kids and are thinking of having another but also thinking about adoption.
They have ...

 My fiance wants to adopt my son advice please?
hi, i got with my fiance when my son was 3 month old, since day one they have had the bond that all normal father and sons have, we have since had a daughter and are getting married in may, we both ...

 APs, FPs, Adoptees: Medical Issues?
I know that once first parent's rights have been terminated and the child legally adopted, the only people who can make medical decisions are the legal parents.



 Frustrated with my case worker-What to do?
I am a certified foster/adoptive parent and have been for almost a year. I haven't received a single phone call. My caseworker seems disinterested in working with me. I have ask to review my ...

me and my sis want to adopt a child

but there are some probs

1 my parents dont want to
how should i convince them

2 where should we look on the internet ...

 What would you do if the birthmother cannot be located?
Before I lose the opportunity to gather any additional information about my adoptive child, I would like to contact the birthmother. However, she cannot be located. I don't want to waste a ...

 Adoption? Is it Harder or Eaiser?
I am only 13, but I am really positive that I want to adopt kids. When I am old enough!!! So I was wondering from some parents do you think it is easier to haver your own children or to adopt. I want ...

 I am adopted and i was wondering if anybody knew any free websites where i can post who i am looking for?
I've been searching the internet at all different adoption sites but 99% of them you have to pay to get anywheres. I am looking for my birth family. If anybody knows any free websites where i ...

 What do you think of the movie "Juno"?
A friend wants to go see it.
Additional Details
I asked this question before, but it got deleted....

I am now a 19 year old F1 visa student in the US (GA state) and my uncle and aunt are going to adopt me. Will that be accepted according to the US law? I mean, I am already older than 18, will I be ...

 Trouble finding birth parents?
has anyone else had a hard time finding their birth parents? I know a little bit about my familey like my father's name, my younger brother's name the town that their apartment burnt down ...

 Question on Adoption?
In the US, are people who are adopting a child or children allowed to choose the race, age, gender and birth status (single birth, twins, triplets)? I ask because I want to adopt identical twin baby ...

 Adopted daughter feels a piece missing at age 9 ( adoption )?
I found it funny that my 9 year old daughter always knew that something wasn't right, but couldn't really pinpoint what it was. She is my birth-daughter, but her father, whom she always ...

 Adoptees: At what point in time does your history combine with your adoptive parents' history?
I wonder about stories that start out with "we wanted a baby" or "we decided to adopt" as the beginning of a child's adoption story. When telling a child an adoption story, ...

 Adopting babies?
i would like to adopt a baby (meaning 2yrs and under) in the U.S., and would prefer babies who arent the typical healthy white infant, instead preferring to care for drug addicted babies, babies with ...

 Just found out I was adopted.?
I just found out I was adopted yesterday (17) and had no idea

I sort of went to my room and thats where I stayed I feel weird not sad or angry just weird, I guess I am still reeling. W...

 Should we use tax dollars to promote infant adoption?
There is training program in Florida called "Understanding Infant Adoption" and its purpose is to promote adoption. The program is federally funded.

Why are tax dollars being ...

My husband wants to adopt my daughter, how hard is this process?
We live in Texas if that helps. My husband and I have been married for almost 2 years. My daughter is 4 and a half. He has raised her since she was 2. He is all she knows as a father, because my first husband (her biological father) left when she was 10 months old.He saw her for a little while, but has not seen her in over a year now. She has no memory of him. We do get a small amount of child support from him, because the courts take it out of his check when he gets one. We get about $67 a month (woo hoo).

How hard will the adoption process be? Where will we need to start? Can we do it ourselves, or do we need an attorney?

My ex lives about 20 minutes away, and has had 3 children since our divorce (with random girls). He told me once that he would NEVER give up his rights to my daughter, but that was such a long time ago.

Show all answers
Post your answer

It's not. He wants to be her father which is perfectly fine. I for one encourage him. He is doing the right thing trying to be all he can for your daughter. Though you will need an atourney more than likely if your daugter's bialogical father wants the rights to his daughter. But more then likey the court will rule in your faveore.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

He has to sign off on his rights,or have them terminated, before your husband can adopt. Terminating his rights involuntarily will be difficult, since he is paying child support, albeit very little.

Have the process server point out to him that if he signs off, his child support payments go away.

I hope your daughter gets the father she deserves!

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Gemma W
Have a look on here, this should give you a lot of infomation. Im in the uk and my partner is planning on adopting my daughter after we're married.
Over here though if the father is on the birth certificate you have to get his permission first and if he says no then theres nothing you can do. But it might be different where you are xx


Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Sarah A
The bio. dad needs to sign off on the rights- hopefully he will, he sounds like a jerk- you might be able to take him to court if you can prove he has been an unfit father and you want him out....Good luck!!!

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

What does your daughter want???
You may think her bio father is a dead-beat......but his blood runs through her veins.
It's not about not loving her new dad - but cutting her off from her links - for the adults sakes - is something that will affect her for the rest of her life.
Children can have multiple parents - it's often their reality when parents split up.
The parents do the splitting - and the kids do the paying.
You can change names without actual adoption.
At the very least - allow her to keep her bio father's name in her name - and add the new name.
This appears to be more about what the adults want - and not what the child needs.
Please think hard - as the implications will last a life-time.
Children need to know all their truth - and full details about where they came from.
Genetics play a huge roll in who we are - and she deserves to know it all - and be allowed contact down the track if she so wishes. Especially as there is probably a whole lot of extended family out there - on your ex's side - that your daughter may one day want to explore.
Please don't make your prejudices affect your daughters life.
That would be making it about you - and not your child.
You loved her father once.
Your beautiful daughter needs to know him - as he's part of her.
Kids don't need pieces of paper to say who is who.
They really just want to be loved - by all - and be allowed to know and love all in return.

Just my thoughts as an adoptee - who was not allowed to know my truth for 38 yrs.
It hurts when adults make decisions on our behalf - when they are not completely in our best interests.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

You will either need permission from the father or be able to prove he is unfit and have his rights terminated. (Either of these will stop all child support, inheritance rights, visitation rights, sever all legal ties to both the father and your daughter's extended family, etc.) Your ex will have the opportunity to state his claims as well before a final decision is made.

You can change your daughter's name legally with a lot less hassle, cost or falsification of her history if having the family have matching names are all you are concerned with. Step-parents do have rights under the "loco parentis" legal doctrine.

(The term in loco parentis, Latin for "in the place of a parent", refers to the legal responsibility of a person or organization to take on some of the functions and responsibilities of a parent. Originally derived from British common law, it is applied in two separate areas of the law.

First, it allows institutions such as colleges and schools to act in the best interests of the students as they see fit, allowing what would otherwise be considered violations of the students' civil liberties.

Second, this doctrine can provide a non-biological parent to be given the legal rights and responsibilities of a biological parent if they have held themselves out as the parent. [1]"
-Wikipidia Definition)

Good luck to you and your family. I hope you daughter gets everything she needs.

ETA: Why does everyone automaticly hate the first dad? While I don't disbelieve moms - and many have just cause to want to protect their children - it strikes me as odd that people are so quick to judge without hearing both sides. Men - just like women - may have extenuating circumstances and deserve to be heard in Court before being condemned and exiled from their children's lives.

I know there are bad parents, but I also know that there are many cases where children are hidden from a parent and then the Courts are told that parents aren't seeing their kids by choice.

I am not saying that is the case here - I don't know the details - just stating my experience. There is nothing in this question to indicate the asker is lying or if she is concerned about her daughter's safety for any reason. We have no information as to this "case history" and know nothing of the first father or his situation.

I am also a firm believer that children have rights to their parents and histories just as parents have rights to them. To unjustly keep a child from its family and history because a caregiver cannot place the need of a child or the child's rights before themselves is unfair to the CHILD. A good parent should consider the child's feelings and future and possible issure before making decisions that effect the child's identity, rights and mental/emotional well being.

People change and so do circumstances. Kids can have the capacity to love many people and deserve all the love and support they can get. I believe a child's relationships should be based on the child's choices and feelings - not those of the caregivers unless there is good reason to act in defense of a child's well being.

Many children who have estanged parents build healthy and positive relationships in adulthood with the absent parent. Some even resent the parent who interfered with their relationship. I personally feel that step-parent adoptions should require the child's consent at age 12 (the typical age children are allowed to speak for themselves in court matters concerning custody) but that is my opinion. There is no reason why this can't be done in most cases since it does not prevent the step-parent from loving or supporting the child.

In any case these are PERSONAL DECISIONS and not mine to make - I am happy to provide information and food for thought. I hope that all families facing situations like these find the answers that work best for THEM and will not make these decisions lightly.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Marissa C
The only way your husband can adopt your daughter if your ex won't give up parental rights would be if you can prove that he is an unfit parent and have his rights terminated. Yes, you will need an attorney for that. Since he has no contact with your daughter, it may be possible.

I'm in a similiar situation myself, so I feel for you. Best of luck.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Sunday, August 2, 2015 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy