Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Child Adoption
Legal Discussion Forum

Can she unadopt?
My aunt is a business woman only caring about work and such, real rich and buys me and my sister nice stuff. She got an accidental pregnancy, and found a nice family to adopt her baby. She signed all ...

How is raising an adoptee different from raising one's own children?

I would like to adopt a baby, im unable to have kids myself but desperate to have a baby, can anyone help?

How can I convince my husband?
My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 5 years now. After 2 miscarriages and month after month of disappointment, I am seriously considering adoption. I have done some research and ...

Can you name a baby that you adopt?
i am pretty curious. i was just thinking ahead and i would like to avoid childbirth if possible but i still want to have three kids names Cedric Aeson, and Xai. so please help....

Puttin my unborn up for adoption?
im thinking about putting my baby up for adopting i live in ny how or where do i go about doing this??? im currently 7 weeks pregnant......

Do you get any money if you put yor child up for adoption?

Should adopted children be given the choice to contact their birth parents?
I have to debate this topic tomorrow, and my only point I can come up with is that they have every right to contact their birth parents.

I don't know much about this topic, so if you ...

How should I respond?
I keep getting this question time and time again. From Dr's and strangers, etc...about my little one.

Where did you get her from? and
What part of Asia is she from?

F...

Question about breastfeeding an adopted newborn?
PLEASE NO NEGATIVE COMMENTS!!

My best friend is adopting her sister's baby at birth (she is due in July). She wants to breastfeed this baby. Any tips or advice on how to go about this ...

How could he?
I know that some people might not find this as big of a deal as I do, but I have been wondering about this for some time now. Well my youth pastors name is Scott. He has a wife and one of the cutest ...

Before you block someone...?
Do you email that person (if allowed) and try to discuss why you're upset with his or her answer? Or do you block for other reasons? If someone blocks you, do you automatically block him or her ...

Do Adopted Children require more affection than natural offspring so that they do not ask for their background?

Thinking of adopting, are we prepared?
I am 25 (almost 26,) by the time we adopt I'll probably be 27. My fiance (who will be my husband if/when we adopt) Is a lawyer. We live in New Jersey and recently bought a single family home. <...

Should a person who has given children up for adoption be able to adopt a child at a later date?
I am a birthmother of 4 children. Two given up for adoption one who has passed away and the son I have with my husband. Should I be able to adopt a child at a later date now that I am unable to get ...

Do you agree with gay couples adopting?
I want to know because i plan on starting the journey of adoption in the next few years and i want to know what to expect. kinda like a heads up on what people think. because this is the best way to ...

I don't see anything wrong with adoption, do you?
I have been reading around about adoption on this website.
I honestly do not understand what's so wrong with adoption?

Have you gone on adoption websites to see kids waiting for ...

If the natural mother wants her child back and you refuse, what do you tell the child when he or she asks?
People say they would not give back a child to her natural parent(s) because it would adversely affect the child, but what would you possibly tell the child later when he or she asks why she was ...

Anyone who has experience with adoption, I just recently adopted a 14 year old?

I've been looking into adoption for the past 8 months now, a month ago I knew to myself I was going to adopt a child. 2 weeks ago, I found myself looking at my son, who is 14 years old. He ...

Adoptees? How would you feel? Thinking about doing adoption w/my baby?
I'm 6 months pregnant and am having a very hard time deciding what to do. I live on my own, pay all my own bills, have a good paying job. So, nothing's wrong there. Here's what I...

Mom of 1
Get paid to put baby up for adoption?
My sister is pregnant and considering adoption. She is in college. She was wondering if in Virginia any agencies have people wanting to adopt that pay the birth mother?

Show all answers
Post your answer

Heather Leigh
Try EBay or Craig's list. She could make out pretty well once people start bidding.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

sizesmith
In the USA, it is illegal to pay the birth mother, however, her expenses can be paid. For instance, we got our son's bio mom's phone turned back on, we paid for her fuel, we put a roof over her head, and bought her food, prenatal vitamins, etc. We asked her to live with us, so it would make the transition easier for the baby, however, we NEVER gave her cash, because it is illegal. Now that our son is born, we are hoping to meet another woman that if she can't keep the baby, we can help her in a similar way, to help us. We'd probably put her up in another house depending on what she wants to do. We'd love to adopt again!!!!!! Home study ready and attorney in place. I'll get thumbs down for that one, but we so truly want to adopt again!

cmc
Rating
The law varies by state, but doesn't allow you to "sell" your baby. The adoptive parents can pay maternity related expenses, which can usually include medical, transportation, food, living expenses... Also the payments do not mean she is obligated to place. Hopefully she would only take the money if she is sincere about placing, but she can't decide (and sign the papers) until after the baby is born. The laws try to protect a birthmom from having to give up her baby because she has already taken money. It is obviously a very tough decision to make.

Usually it is best for your sister to deal with an agency or lawyer about the expenses, rather than the potential adoptive parents (PAPs) directly, because they will know what is allowed in her state. In the end it is the PAPs who will give her the money, but the agency and lawyers help keep it legal. Also she will have to find PAPs that she likes who are willing to pay the expenses, but most expect to pay at least some expenses.

tina_71_k
I have to agree with the last couple of posts, that is illegal, however the adoptive parents can pay for living expences such as housing, gas, food etc. My husband and I have been looking to adopt for sometime now and everything that we have researched comes back to the fact that "paying" for a child is illegal

miranda a
well yes u get paid u get money for clothes while u grow into pregnancies u get rent money during and a little after u sometimes get medical expenses paid but if u have insurance normally they dont............. its not like 2,000 if u give me ur child but they will pay for certain things while the process goes on.......... they help u out financially........

39 Weeks Pregnant!
Rating
There are adoptive families who will pay for your medical bills, and provide assistance. But babies can not be "bought"

Nancy
Rating
why would she sell her baby? she woulden't got pregnant if she didn'y want any babies. n that's called inresponsible

terpalummls
There are lots of families waiting to adopt!!! Here is a GREAT agency in Virginia (not sure where she lives):

www.adoptionstogether.org

As for getting paid- she can't get paid for her child- and I agree with the posters who seem unsettled by this idea! However, her legal and medical expenses would be taken care of and in some cases, she could have some other living expenses paid for. Virginia law allows adoptive parents to pay living expenses but it is usually if the birth mother has to reduce her work hours b/c of the pregnancy.

http://www.adoptivefamilies.com/adoptionlaws

You sister should research agencies and find one that she feels comfortable with. As someone who is hoping to adopt, I am grateful that she is considering this option. Good luck to your family!

Tess B
Rating
If she wants to sell her baby tell her she's in the wrong country... Why would you want to be paid? Thats sad and pathetic.

Adopted Jane
Thats called Human Trafficking and is AGAINST THE LAW
And NO there are not any agencies that do that except for the bent ones that deal in the underworld of the wrong element

LindseyTaylor
she should want to make this decision because she wants whats best for her baby, not to make a profit.
her medical expenses will be covered in full but beyond that is ILLEGAL.

why would anyone want to make money for giving someone else her baby? no mam...you may be helping them but they are helping you too..

ExoticAngels
Rating
this sounds really mean.
Sell her child?

tish
nope. she has to go through an agency or arrange a private adoption with an attorney. paying a pregnant women for a baby is illegal.

Phoenix
Rating
Like everyone else is saying, despite the impression given by the adoption industry, babies shouldn't be commodities and paying a mother to give up her baby is beyond wrong. Can you imagine the issues the child will have knowing that s/he was actually sold by his/her own mother??

Googly Eyes: I'm sure you do love your son unconditionally & forever, but an adoptive parent's love doesn't necessarily solve every issue an adoptee may have. My adoptive parents are amazing and I know they love me, but, despite the propaganda of the adoption industry, love isn't always enough. Try reading "the primal wound" if you haven't already. The separation from the first mother can cause life-long trauma that no amount of love can help. I think thats what the other poster was saying.

anastasia beaverhausen-the real1
Rating
that would be referred to as child trafficking.

if she's looking for a free ride, she can get one there. jail is pretty cushy these days.

scorpio_queen_2003
Rating
they may pay her expenses,but it's not legal to actually give her a sum of money just for adopting her baby.

Sweetharttt
Rating
Sometimes they will pay for living and medical expenses, but it is against the law to actually pay for the child.

cowgrl3611
Rating
I know a lot of the time they will pay for your medical and living expenses but I don't know about getting actually paid for giving up your child

BraxOwl
Rating
Depending on the state laws, your sister could possibly be paid stipends for housing, medical care, food and clothing during her pregnancy. However, it is heavily monitored, because it is bordering buying a baby.

You are not allowed to "pay for" or "accept money for" (i.e. buy or sell) a child. It is a felony for both parties.

Sophie
You don't pay the birthmother just for "dibs" on a child.
---------------------------
And to the person who wrote this as an answer:

"Without its mother's love a child might as well be dead for the life it will have never knowing unconditional love before it is able to naturally separate itself from its mother as it grows up. How would you like to meet someone with absolutely no confidence because he's never known love? Someone with no self-esteem because no one has ever loved him unconditionally?"

I am an adoptive mom and I LOVE my son U-N-C-O-N-D-I-T-I-O-N-A-L-L-Y and F-O-R-E-V-E-R!!!

birthdad in hell
FEDERAL LAW states that no cash money can be given to a birth mother placing her child for adoption. the birthing expenses and living expenses will be paid through the agency by the prospective family during the pregnancy and up to $1000 in post natal care for the first month after birth. anything else is trafficking.

Jennifer L
Rating
The first poster is correct. Depending on the state laws, your sister may get some of the birth expenses covered. Personally, I take a dim view of this. Whenever money enters the picture, it muddies the waters. I understand paying for the adoption process, but paying for things outside of that is very questionable, in my opinion. State medicaid is available for women who cannot afford the prenatal/birth expenses.

But paying someone for a baby is child trafficking, highly illegal and highly unethical. I am assuming that your post refers to birth expenses assistance, at least I HOPE that's the case.

clarisa_hillman
I have never heard of anyone paying to get a baby . Its illegally to buy kids.

Littlesby
I think that is called 'selling the baby' and I think that is illegal. Usually the adoptive parents will help cover expenses, but that is about it

Heather B
Rating
Well yes they do but they make appear legal and reasonable by saying the money is "Expenses" or a "gift"

Please don't sell your niece to strangers!

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.144
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Wednesday, September 17, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy