Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Child Adoption
Legal Discussion Forum

What do you do when the child you are adopting has bio family that want to stay in contact?
I am in the process of adopting and the child has been living with his bio aunt, he will be moving in soon and i know that he has to have some down time from her but i don't know how to handle ...

Adoption & child abuse...?
My step aunt (who I am close to) has been approved to adopt a 4 year old little boy which is due to go ahead in September, everything was going smoothly when last week he was removed from his foster ...

What should I do if the bio parents try to contact my adopted child?
I adopted 2 children from foster care and the adoption was open. I have chosen to have contact with the birth parents as long as they do not try to contact the kids in any way. I will send updates ...

My sister is pregnant and wants to put the baby up for adoption?
She is living with me and has no where to go, and need to get back on her feet, she has a 9 month old already. Is there a way to find a loving home, and they can pay her living expenses until the ...

Foster care is the new adoption????
I thought I might put it on a tee shirt and sell it. Any thoughts???
Additional Details
I totally support foster care adoption. I wish more people would support it. I wish they would ...

Do you go home for Christmas, if you're fostered or adopted?
Go back to visit your adopted parents, my friend who fostered 10 children, told me neither of them kept in contact with her, only her biological and stepchildren came back to see them.
A...

Sisters kids put up for adoption by courts can i adopt them or go for legal gaurdian ive 3 kids and married?

What should I do????
I am 7 weeks pregnant and the father doesn't want anything to do with the baby. I told my parents I wanted an abortion but they said no way. They told me if I had an abortion not only would they ...

Birth mothers - how was your delivery/hospital experience?
Did they do anything particularly helpful or awful? My experience was mostly OK, but I would have changed 2 things in particular.

1) They were on a kick to make sure that no baby left the ...

Do you think single women who change boyfriends like they change underwear should be allowed to adopt?
Maybe I'm being overdramatic but I don't think single women who allow men to live with them should be allowed to adopt. I had a friend who was molested by her mom's live in boyfriend. I...

Partener adopting my daughter?
my partener would like to adopt my 8 year old daughter me and her natural dad was never married and does'nt see her. me and my partener have been together for 2 years and are getting married in 2...

Do you think the internet has helped or hurt adoption?
After all, now natural parents and children have more resouces to adopt. First parents who wish to place can actually find out how, their rights, and with forums like this, we can all be educated ...

Should adoptive parents get to decide who can and can not adopt?
Today and adoptive parent said this to someone who is looking to adopt a child:

"Apparently, people like you are the kind of people who are afraid to go against the popular vote and ...

I'm 27 and I would like to adopt a 16 year old boy but my husband doesn't agree,I would appreciate ur opinion?
He is a kid who has gotten into some trouble in his life, but I've gotten to know him and am becoming very attached to him and would love to care for him, plus i think i would do a good job. I ...

Do you really believe that adoption does not psychologically effect the adoptee?

Additional Details
We are specifically addressing adoption's effect, if there is one.

And I am not talking about adoption from foster care ---- other adoption....

Do you think we're being a little hard on first time adoptees looking for information?
Over the weekend a 16 yo girl who was abused in foster care asked a question about if it was okay for her to hate adoption. She was reaching out for help. Very few people who responded to her ...

Did anyone watch the ABC show tonight about Brittney Bergeron?
What did you think of Brittney's struggle with her bio mom to allow an adoption by the foster parents. Here's a link, it's really a sad story but wow, what a resilient girl!
http:...

Does anyone think that Juno had an agenda?
I saw only MAYBE the first 15 minutes. Then I demanded my money back. It was horrible. They wouldn't give it to me, they told me I could see another movie. I was so upset, I told them that I did ...

YoU KNOW FOSTER PARENTS GET PAID WHERE DOES THE MONEY COME FROM?

What is the purpose of marking all your questions, answers and contacts as private?
I'm just curious, I have found that many on here ask questions but have those questions marked as private. Some times I feel like I have nothing to contribute to a particular question but would ...

angie<3
Do adoptive parents still receive money from the state after they adopt a foster child?
I grew up in foster care and was adopted when I was 8 and my adoptive parents always told us that they didnt get money after we got adopted (being that foster parents get like 800 bux a month now a days for one child). I later on reconnected with my older sisters that were also adopted and they said that their adoptive dad still received money after they were adopted. I dont really see how that works and I am skeptical that that is true. So do adoptive parents still receieve money for foster children even after they have adopted them? Does it depend on what organization they adopted you through or something? Like a private or county one or something??

Show all answers
Post your answer

Dark Night 21
Rating
Once you adopt a child... it is as if you were the one whom gave birth to it. so no you wouldnt get the money from the state any more... you would however get family allowance.. but its not NEARLY as much.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Theresa R
After you adopt the child, all state support ends. The parent(s) adopting is assuming the parental role and full responsibility for the child. The state only pays when the child is award of the state, after adoption they no longer are. Now, if your sisters had some kind of a disablitly that the state was paying on, that is different. I highly doubt their adoptive dad received any more funds for caring for them. He became their father. Hope this answers your question.

Wundt
It depends on the state and the specifics of the adoption. Our sons had medical and potential long term developmental issues stemming from their abuse/neglect before being placed into foster. Plus, they were adopted as a 'sibling group'. Because of this, they qualify for a variety of benefits post adoption, including a stipend and Medicaid.

We had to ask for and justify these benefits. This is one of the reasons you should always hire a family lawyer when adopting, even from foster care; they usually know what you are eligible for tond will know the best way to get it.

But, if you are adopting a singleton who isn't a minority and who has no known medical or developmental issues, then you are unlikely to get as many or the same benefits.

MelC
Yes my mom adopted 2 foster kids and still recieves money just not as much it doesn't matter where you foster them through you still get money.

allchildrenareangels
I do believe it depends on a lot of factors like health and age of the child. Some do receive money but, others don't. If your sister is older maybe it was because of age.

Love,
Michelle

Sly
http://nacac.org/adoptionsubsidy/summary.html

While the criteria varies state by state, as shown in the chart linked above, the requirements can be as insignificant as a child who is over a year old when adopted as in Illinois, or has 'special needs' such as ADD. Being ADD myself and raising 2 boys who were as well, I know that it is possible to raise healthy bright ADD children without state provided adoption welfare.

wynn
Rating
In my state if you adopt an older child, a sibling group, minority children, or children with medical/psychological issues, you do continue to get payments until the child turns eighteen. It didn't used to be that way. It just changed in the last few years.

♥♥Rita♥♥
Rating
The answer to your question??

It depends on the state the adoption took place in, on your age at the time of the adoption, your race (yes), any medical, mental needs. It even depends on when the adoption occured since adoption assistance has not always been available post-adoption.

It is possible your older sisters a/parents received a monthly subsidy payment and yours did not as they were older and some states deem an older child eligible for a subsidy rate and a younger child isn't.

Hope you find the answers you are looking for.

Mom to Foster Children
Rating
In NE the child has to be deemed "special needs" to continue to receive the monthly stipend check - which is no where near 800 dollars a month - I think we get 300 because of his behavior disorders and his age at the time of adoption. It is something that is offered to the adoptive parents but they don't have to take it - we did as just his medication is 380 a month + therapy and the psychologist to boot -

farm mom of 10
I have adopted three children from the foster care system. The first two were not eligible for a stipend, so when I adopted them, the money stopped. The third was the full sibling of my adopted daughter, and as a sibling, he WAS eligible. So we get a little more than half the rate we got for him while he was still a foster child.

sizesmith
Rating
Adoption allowances are negotiated before an adoption takes place. Parents have the right to ask for money for any child adopted through foster care (and a few adopted through private adoption that have some bad problems, 99% of the time, it's done before the child is adopted).

Some children who have disabilities, whether emotional or physical, receive an allowance from the state, as an incentive for adoptive parents to adopt them. Many also qualify for medicaid until they're adults.

Your mother was probably telling the truth, as well as your sister's adoptive parents. Different situations, areas, case workers, etc, make a difference and each adoption can be different.

Aan
There is such a thing as 'state-funded adoptive parents payments'. Conditions apply.
Why don't you call your local adoption agency or the governing body in these matters and clarify this.

Why did you want to find this out?

K A
Rating
My Mom adopted a child that was in foster care, and all of her payments stopped. The child was 3 years old. This was in Oklahoma.

Randy B
Rating
It really depends upon where you were adopted and what their policies were at the time.

Here in Alberta Canada (yes, I know it's not where you are) any foster parent gets a monthly amount to pay for the raising of the foster child. In the case of the last foster child we had it was approx $1100 a month for an infant. That was all tax free also. Of that, roughly $750 was to pay for the child's monthly expenses including but not restricted to food, clothing, diapers, wipies, furnishings and other related expenses. The rest, referred to as a "skill fee" was to compensate the foster parents for their time and the training they were required to have and continue taking.

When a child is adopted from foster care, whether it be by the origional foster parents or an adoptive parent, the payments continue to the adoptive parents although it only includes the portion for the raising of the child. The "skill fee" portion does not continue. Also, these payments do not continue for those who did not adopt through foster care.

This payment is to the parents, for the parents use in raising the child in the form of covering any extra medical or developmental costs they may incure as a result of the adoption. Its intended to protect against adoptive family breakdowns due to financial stresses that may arise as a result of the adoption and special needs of the child that may develope. They are not payments made to the parents for the child's use. It's not like they have to put it in trust for the child when they are older although in our case we have started an account for our daughter for when she is older. $750 a month, tax free, increasing as she gets older...will make for a nice down payment on a house, a college education or anything else she wants when she is old enough. At the same time, if we need any of it then it is there for our use as well.

MamaKate
Dear Angie,

There are some situations where adoptive families receive payments to help maintain their adoptive children. Most of the time, these are situations where the child has extensive special needs.

Many of the children on the National Adoption Clearing House and AdoptUsKids websites have assistance or maintenance stipends to help pay for their medical needs.

Here is one explanation from an adoption website:
"In addition to free health care through the Medicaid program and free college tuition to one of Florida’s state universities, colleges or vocational schools, many children adopted from state care are eligible for a monthly stipend to help defray some of the costs related to adding a child to your family. Talk to your adoption counselor to find out what options and funds are available to you and your child.

Adoption Assistance – In Florida, adopted children with special needs are eligible for monthly adoption assistance. The minimum monthly stipend is determined as being 80 percent of the current foster care reimbursement rate and may be negotiated up to the full amount of the child’s foster care rate at the time of adoption, depending on the child’s needs. Adoption assistance is funded with federal or state monies, depending on the child's eligibility, and continues even if the family moves to another state.

Adoption Tax Credit – Every family’s tax situation is different, but if your family’s income is below $204,410, the adoption tax credit is worth looking into. The tax credit is applied to your total tax liability and could increase your refund. The form number is 8893. The form and instructions are available at www.irs.gov/formspubs.

Employer Adoption Benefits – The National Adoption Center provides a listing of employers who provide adoption benefits. To request a copy, contact the National Adoption Center at 1-800-TO-ADOPT.

Adoption Benefits for State Employees – State employees and teachers who adopt may be eligible for a one-time stipend of $5,000 or $10,000, depending on the special needs of the child and depending on Legislative funding each year. Enrollment occurs each year from August 1 to October 31, and applications are available online at www.dcf.state.fl.us/adoption/adoptbenefi... "

http://www.adoptflorida.org/adoption_faq.html

Every state has similar programs.

ETA: This is something that has, on occasion, been abused by some unscrupulous and evil people. There needs to be a better accountability system for this along with many other aspects of adoption and family support. Just one example:
http://pysih.com/2007/07/31/judith-leekin/

HappyMomAnna
In 1996 the ASFA (Adoption and Safe Families Act) was passed and federal guidelines were established in order to help more families afford to adopt children from foster care. Federal Guidelines were established and funding for a variety of things was made possible.

The hope was that more children previously considered Un-Adoptable would be placed with families that may not have been able to meet their high special needs without certain supports beyond Public Education and Medicaid or State Health Insurance.

Along with clear time lines for case plans, and states being responsible to provide more post adoption support additional things were taken into consideration. Children adopted from foster care will continue to receive Medicaid or State Health insurance until the age of 18 or 21, even if they are named on the parents primary health insurance.

Each state also established specific guidelines for the definition of "Special Needs" in their own states. Special needs can include a variety of issue and it's important to remember that it is designed to help children who are the most difficult to place. In most cases an Adoption Assistance or Adoption Subsidy Agreement is made to provide for things that will help the child with their special needs.

It cannot be used for anything that public education or medicaid will pay for, but can be used for qualified respite, special equipment, therapeutic equipment or activities, medical supplies not covered by medicaid and other services or supports.

From my experience I believe Adoption Assistance or Adoption Subsidies are the best way that the state and federal government has to Prove they have provided adoptive families with Support. The problem I have seen however is that when the State provides Money to pay qualified respite providers for example, the state is Done with their part--they provided the parent with the funds to pay for this support--the problem is that They Don't Provide an Actual Method of Getting qualified Respite providers. So the State Paid the Parents for Something they Can't Always even Find.

Governments off the Hook and mom and dad have funding for services that may or may not even exist.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Tuesday, September 23, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy