Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Child Adoption
Legal Discussion Forum

Book Recommendation Please. ?
I have just started looking into the adoption process. In regards to adopting from China, would any of you mind recommending which books you found most informative, regarding the process and ...

For those who were adopted, when did you start understanding?
About how old were you when you started to understand what "being adopted" means? What questions did you ask? What questions did you want to ask, but didn't? What answers did your ...

Adoptive parents: Do you ever tell your children that they're awesome?
I say this to my son alot... those exact words, "You're awesome!" especially when he does a good job at something... and a relative told me to stop saying that because he's ...

Adoptive parents that have both bio & adopted kids do you find that you don't talk about your pregnancies?
I don't want my other daughters to feel left out so i down play my pregnancies and try to avoid talking about them. Same with looks and similarities too. Do you do the same?
Additional D...

Can a single person adopt school-aged children?
I am wanting to adopt 4 kids, they are siblings but I am not sure if being single would be a problem. I have a good job & they are in the foster care system. I want a family and they want a ...

I would love to adopt, but abroad or UK?
I would love to adopt children later in life (3 years +), but do you think i should look in to adopting abroad where children are less likely to contact their parents due to being orphaned or ...

What is a "therapeutic home" for foster children?
I have seen this before on here, but I don't know what it is....

Question for bio, first, birth moms!?
Is there a proper word I could use to refer to my son's bio mom? I really don't mean to offend any bio mom. Scorn, sarcasm, and non relevant answers are not welcome. Is bio mom OK? Do you ...

How should we announce our plans to adopt?
My husband and I have decided to adopt and we want to tell all of our friends and family in a creative fun way.
We will be sending out a newsletter in December so this is probably where and when ...

Sources for Societal Pros of Funding Adoption vs. Funding Foster Care?
I'm doing a research paper and I'm not sure if anyone can help me here but I'm having a great deal of trouble finding legitimate, up to date sources that compare the pros of foster ...

How to make the call to First Mom?!?
Hi all!
I've been a Busy little camper lately and just received my First moms full name! (Finally!)
Well several yrs ago the agency that handled my adoption did get a hold of her for ...

Foster care and day care?
If you take in children that are not yet school aged from foster care, does DSS/DCF provide free/discounted daycare?

I've heard conflicting facts on this, some saying that they will ...

Adoption and Issues with In-Laws?
My mother in law seems to believes that we should not discipline our son at all. As many of you already know, he has Reactive Attachment Disorder and one of the keys to helping to control the out of ...

Did you KNOW you were adopted, even though your parents said no?
Is there anyone out there who fits this pattern:

(1) You always believed you were adopted, even though there were no obvious signs.

(2) You asked your parents and they said no, ...

Adoptions and foster care in ct?

I'm so confused. Can anyone help with advice on what "I" should be doing in regards to DD's First Family?
This may be a little long sorry....

DD and her Mother, Grandmother, Sister, and two Aunts were all calling and emailing back and forth. It was wonderful!

Slowly, one by one ...

Can i use florida WIC checks in georgia ?
i am raising my 4 month old niece ,her mother receives WIC checks from the state of florida and she mailed them to me to get the formula for the baby .i have legal guardianship for the baby but my ...

Are John and Kate Gosselin adopting another kid?

Birth mother help?? please?
im 13 considering looking for my birth mother. is that a reasonable age? also i am wondering what questions i should ask her if i do meet her and how you think she will answer them? and what emotions ...

Adoptive parents of sibling groups, how did you deal?
Our social worker just asked us how we would deal with going from zero kids to three. I think we're pretty prepared for it...as much as anyone can be...but I also know that we're going to ...

EMJ
Can someone with a criminal background adopt a child?

Show all answers
Post your answer

sunny
With $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ all is POSSIBLE.

Just believe!

Good luck!

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

morgana banana
Rating
i don't think so.

O'Reilly
Rating
No.

Livii
no they wont let you. just as if you are a convicted felon you can not vote either.

sweetie
Rating
Nope even if the charges were dropped most the time. At least that is what every adoption agency said to us and hubby actually did nothing wrong. The charges were dropped and since it shows up but as dismissed they still wont allow us to have a child. Stuck ttc forever!

bubba
Rating
hope not

sassygirl21 s
Rating
No you cant not adopt a child with a criminal record! You have to have a clean record! They really look down on that kind of things they are only looking for what's best for the child that is one of the main reasons they will not allow a criminal to adopt a child!

Bella L
Rating
no

horrorfan1989
No

Boo
I wouldnt think so

monkeykitty83
The answer to that is almost always no.

If it was something very minor and a lot of time has passed, you can talk to a lawyer about having your record expunged, so legally it's like the conviction never happened.

In general, though, any kind of criminal record does prevent you from adopting, for the sake of the children's safety.

Ms.Questions/lb
No they dont want the child to be around anything like that because most children come from those situations when they are put in adoption.

Penny A (Vanessa)
Rating
I sincerely hope not.

LiveYaLife
I would hope not.

Randy B
I'm afraid not. Any blemishes on the criminal records check will probably be enough to get you excluded from the process.

rainblaze_22
to all the people who answered this question with an opinion that someone who has any kind of criminal background should not be allow to adopt.. well I think that's quite judge mental. If someone made a mistake when they were young and did their time, or community service ot whatever punishment,. then why shouldn't they be allowed the same chance to mother or father a child. If someone cannot be a productive Citizen after a felony then why not take all who commit crimes regardless of the circumstances and shoot them all. I don't know the reason for such a harsh judging on them, wasn't that the ACTUAL judges job?

mom of many
Rating
it all depends on the crime, how long ago it happened and what you have done with your life since it happened. Some crimes would make it totally impossible while others are ok. and some that are border lined and can be worked with with counseling or other ways to work around. Some felonies are ok and others are not. (felons can vote when their probation or parole is completed for the offence.

kuppkake
"criminal background" is pretty vague; it would depend on the nature of the crime

mony sue
Depends on the offense and when it was. In the foster care system most minor stuff like simple assault is a 7 year max. If you stay out of trouble they won't hold it against you.At least that is the way it is in Wa.

rocswife
I tried to adopt my niece and they wouldn't give her to me cause I had a felony and It was a drug felony if yours not that bad yes it its possible for you to adopt. My mother in law has two of her grandchildren granted to her by the state and she also had a drug felony but it was the same case I had It was her boyfriend that got her caught up in that mess, not saying that is why she was able to adopt them but she had to go to DHR and sign a lot of papers and she got people that knew her to write and tell them how much she had changed and that she will be the perfect parent for them and she won them and it didn't take long so please try it its worth it you will be surprised what the results is my nieces are 22 and 17 she had them since they were 7 and 12

♥♥Rita♥♥
Rating
It depends on the crime.

Misdemeanor drunk in public ten years ago....probable.

Felony drunk driving a year ago...probably not.

Vehicular manslaughter....no way.

It just depends. Call someone in your state and ask.

EDIT:

A small run in with the law will not totally discredit someone's chances of being able to adopt. It just depends on the crime, when it happened, what the disposition was and what has happened in the time between the commitment of the crime and now.......so check it out.

where is everybody?
it depends on what it is. if it's for having speeding tickets, then that would be different than jail time for more sever things. i would think in general no they would not allow it

anastasia beaverhausen-the real1
ummmm......NO.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Friday, September 19, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy