Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Child Adoption
Legal Discussion Forum

Adoptees, what are the first three adjectives you think of when you hear "adoptive parent"?
Your honest opinion should not include reading what others say first... so please give it a try.
Additional Details
It's my guess that there is such a discrepancy between what ...

Thinking of adoptling!!?
My husband and I are thinking of adopting a baby. Is there any good websites to visit. I don't know of any agencies?...

How do i get my home ready for a home study for adoption?

Adoptees, (Former) Foster Children, Foster Parents...?
and Adoptive Parents: What are your experiences? The more, the better!

(We are planning on fostering and/or adopting and believe the more we know, the better parents we can be. Thanks ...

Very complicated situation.. please help !?
I have a 3 years old daughter with a previous relationship. Now, i am married with a very good man and he wanted to adopt her. My ex-boyfriend know that i am married and not doing any effort to see ...

Is it true that males are less likely to search for their first families than females?
I do not have stats on this or anything, however, it is not the first time I had heard this statement.

I am curious if others have heard the same thing... and if so, why do you think that ...

Adopting from North Korea?
As an American, is it possible to adopt a child from NORTH Korea?

If it helps, I wouldn't be attempting to adopt from North Korea for at least another 10 years.
Additional D...

If first parents truly feel that relinquishment was the right choice...?
Does that mean that there is no pain involved? I have heard that it can be painful for both mother and child to be separated, regardless of the reason, but I still see some answerers stating that ...

How old do you have to be to adopt a child in the U.S.?
In Florida? Just wondering?...

Why are people in here Against Adoption?
I posted this on the parenting section and Im now posting it in here to get more responses.

When giving to teenage pregnant moms, they never recommend Adoption, not only they dont but they ...

I'm thinking about becoming a surrogate mother?
I'm 32 and have 5 of my own. I love being a mother,I told my mom about being a surrogate mother, she told me I was crazy..my husbend said I wouldnt give up the baby...but I really feel like ...

What do u think about open adoption?
What do u think about open adoption and close adoption do you think open adoption is the best choice and also I live in VA and im thinking about giving my twins up for adoption should the adopted ...

Not sure if adoption is right for me?
I am married mother of 5 kids and i am preagent with a nother man's baby. I am not sure what i should do, i am almost due. The father has not been around and i am trying to work on things with ...

Shouldn't the focus be on preventing unplanned pregnancies instead of arguing about adoption?
Ok, we've all argued about the pros and cons of adoption already so let's cut that from the equation for now as that is perceived more as an 'answer' to an unplanned pregnancy and ...

Should bio-parents have any rights after an adoption is finalized?
Adoptees want the right to their OBC and birth family info (which I agree with). Many indicate that they feel a birth parent loses their rights to privacy, etc., once they have signed the adoption ...

My 2 yo son and I were on the playground yesterday and 3 kids noticed he had different skin color than me...?
He is biracial. They asked me why I had different skin color than him and if I was his mom. I was actually shocked. This was the first time this happened. We were in Austin where you think children ...

If all adoptions (domestic, foster, baby, private, special needs, international, etc.) were 100% free...?
Where do you think the highest "demand" for child would be?
Additional Details
And do you think that more adoptions would be considered "ethical" by the majority of ...

Adoption and legal guardians?
MY MOTHER IN LAW IS DYING AND SHE TOOK CUSTODY "" OF HER DAUGHTERS CHILD ( HER GRANDKID) WHEN HER DAUGHTER PAST AWAY THE CHILD LEGAL FATHER TOOK OFF SO IM ASSUMING SHE IS JUST LEGAL GUARDIAN...

I want to be a foster parent when I come of age. PLEASE ANSWER.?
If you want to complaiment please do so after you answer at least one of the questions.
I want to become a foster parent after I finish college, which will be around 22-23. I want to live in New ...

My son was opened adoption but, he knows me as mommy anna I have not seen him in 2 yrs would like pictures?
Idon't want to get him back I just want to see how he is he's only 8yrs old. how would Igo about getting a pictures?...

hala kat
Can a person on SSI for a physical disability still adopt a child?

Show all answers
Post your answer

hayley182uk
no

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

AdoreHim
I am not sure, however, I would think if the disability does not hinder them caring for the child, then no it should not make a difference. Besides parents can become disabled later in life and they have children. My hubby and I adopted 2 children and he became disabled and was still able to help raise our children.
EDIT- would be really interested to know why I would get a thumbs down for this answer. just curious!!

cate 49591962
yes it is possiable

?
Yes. But will need to meet minimum abilities to pay for raising a child, so MAYBE no (SSI is a lot less than SSDI, and it also prohibits earning ANY part time income at al;l to augment) so may fail to meet requirements for fixed and too low income level.

And two; what is the disability? The answer to that will certainly be considered by the adoption people as to whether one is fit enough to handle the responsibility.

Also if the disabled person has a life partner who will be co-responsible and provicing...that will change how her ability is estimated too.

The only way to know for sure is to call the adoption people and start asking.

sizesmith
Rating
What type of adoption? For private adoption, as long as the disablity wasn't so severe that you couldn't take care of the child, it should be alright. Family adoption is often easier to get done while on SSI.

For foster to adopt programs, you'll have to discuss it with your local DHS workers. Some will work on working with you, some won't, and a lot depends on the severity of the disability.

I noticed you said SSI, instead of SSA, which indicates a limited income, so that would also be taken into consideration. Some foster payments are slightly higher than SSI payments, therefore, your SSI could actually be lowered, although you'd receive the stipend for foster care, and subsequent care as provided by the state. Also, your SSI might allow for you to draw 1/2 of what you draw for yourself in the case of private adoption. It varies upon each situation. Sometimes, a disability mean you might be better able to help a special needs child. For instance, if you drew disability because you are deaf, but can still communicate well enough to advocate for the child, you'd most likely be able to adopt. Good luck.

tickled blue
SSID is a needs based payment. Meaning that, while the person may be disabled, they are also below or just meeting poverty levels. A person with a disability can adopt a child, absolutely. However, most agencies require the person to be financially stable. If you can prove that you have a stable income and that you can financially afford to have another person in your home, then you would be eligible to adopt. I don't know what other financial means you have, but SSID is not generally a lifetime payment....and will fluctuate over time/circumstances. An SSID payment alone would not--in most cases--be enough stability from the point of view of the agency. If this is a lifetime disability, or if you have other income, then it is highly possible that you will qualify to adopt.
<<adoptive mommy through foster care; SSA/SSID claims representative

ChloesMama
Rating
~I am sure it really depends on the disability....you need to contact a adoption agency to find out for sure.

Precious Love
yes! i'm on ssi can't have kids. i looked into that and i was told you can as long as your disability dosen't affect you to where the kids can't depend on you.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.034
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Friday, August 29, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy