Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Cars & Transportation Safety
Legal Discussion Forum

Do you think talking on cell phones while driving should be a ticketed offense?
I have a bumber sticker that says *Hang up the damb phone and drive*
I hate driving and having another driver anywhere near me when I see they're on the phone.
I know their full ...

What is the safest color for a car?
more visible day or ...

Black Ice Question.?
I am 16 years old and I was just in a car accident involving black ice and i hit a telephone poll. For future reference, what should I do to avoid hitting the pole? I hit the breaks (from what people ...

How do you see when you drive through an underground tunnel with no headlights?

Why do a lot of people still drive gas guzzling cars? Why not ethanol...?
People still buy these h1 hummers with 2mph for no reason! Just want to look cool or something. I see suv's because they need space, but why do 1 or 2 people still buy this stuff? This happens ...

Ok when you are stopped at a light are you suppose to move in as close as you can to the car in front of you.

When am i too drunk to drive?
Hello,
I just turned 18, and im driving to the club with my friends this friday night.

I live in montreal, and I have my probatory liscence. This means that I can drive by myself, ...

If there is a wrong-way vehicle in your lane, you should...?

Bad women drivers, it must be a myth!?
why do men always go crazy at women drivers even though there are LOADS of men who are rubbish drivers??????...

Parellel parking?
i have taken the driver;s test twice,and i've failed the parellel parking twice,i kep trying to pass it,but my father is getting frustrated that I cant pass this part,i really think he is not ...

How do I prevent someone from using my car?
Ok here's my problem. I'm a HS senior, and I drive. The car that I drive is my dad's, but I me and him are both on the insurance and I pay for gas, my part of the insurance, and ...

What can be done to stop the heavy increase on petrol/diesel thats ripping motorists off?
if britain stuck together like the french could we make the goverment do something to help the normal hard working people travel back and forth to work instead of takin it off us with heavy tax on ...

When travelling by plane, which are the safest seats? also on a train journey which is tha safest carriage?

Driving with hazards lights on?
is it a norm to be driving with hazards lights on during poor visualbility or heavy rain?
if so, how would fellow motorists know if a change or filtering of lane is intended....

Bumped into Somebody and wrote his car off. ?
Bumped into somebody and he said the write off value is 950 but i got an online valuation of his car typing his details in it came to 550.

What do i do? are my only ment to pay what the ...

Why do people drive their cars with the fog lights on when it's not foggy?
Don't they realize that they are blinding the people in front of them?
Additional Details
It wouldn't be so bad if they were adjusted so they point towards the ground instead ...

Is the English way of driving safer then the American way? right hand verse left hand?

AM I GOing TO DIE?!?
okaii..
so i''m about to go on a vacation with my family in a 15 passenger van. theres 11 of us in the car and my dad is going to drive. he is not a professional. we are driving frum ...

Are you a stop sign runner?
More and more sense I have been a driver of over 40 years people are running stop signs deliberately and just slow down and don't stop at all. My brother got hit in the rear end because he ...

I was involved in a car accident. other guy claims i contributed, what do you think?
I was in left hand turning lane, 10 cars in front of me and three cars behind me (approximately). Guy pulls out of parking lot on my right and crosses over two lanes of traffic (all three lanes ...

sheannetta v
Which way do i turn my car wheels when i am parking up hill or down ??

Show all answers
Post your answer

volleyball55morrow
doesn't matter. just sit the emergency brake, but if you feel you must turn your wheel then i'd turn it a way that if it rolled back it would not hit anything

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Bostjan V
Rating
The logic is that you want to turn the front wheels so, that the way the car would travel if the brakes fail would be the shortest.
So being turned downhill and on the right side of the road you turn the wheels right - they will hit the curbstone almost immediately.
Turned uphill on the right side of the road you also turn the wheels to the right, so when the car goes backward the rear wheels go to the right (front will go to the left) and hit the curbstone - a bit later, but nevertheless soon enough.
On the left side of the road turn the wheels to the left side in both cases - with the same effect as described above.

Practically you can do it the otherway around when you park uphill also, if you park close enough to the curbstone that the front wheels will almost lean on it aready before the car moves.
When you park downhill there is no such trick, so maybe it is the best if you always act according to the first rule :-)

UCANTCME
Rating
UPHILL..RIGHT SIDE OF ROAD WHEELS TURNED TO THE RIGHT.

UPHILL..LEFT SIDE OF ROAD WHEELS TURNED TO THE LEFT.

DOWNHILL..RIGHT SIDE OF ROAD WHEELS TURNED TO THE RIGHT.

DOWNHILL..LEFT SIDE OF ROAD WHEELS TURNED TO THE LEFT.

Al Mac Wheel
If there is a curb, and your car is parked right beside the curb, and if the car's brakes fail & it starts to roll, you want the wheels to first connect with the curb, so that it can act as an additional brake, as opposed to the car going out into the street with no blockage.

Seriously you want to have a good quality parking brake, and avoid parking on steep hills.

loco_tech85
You should turn them into the curb. You should also set your emergency brake.

MarieC
an easy way to remember is; up, up, and away! so when you park up hill they go away from the curb and then down hill they go towards it.

mer_xoxo
Rating
Up a hill- wheels toward road

Down a hill- wheels toward the curb

logicalgal
Check with your Highway Safety Act. Where I live, a driver can be charged if his/her vehicle rolls into a roadway and hits something or someone while parked on a hill.
General rule of thumb is..... UPHILL with a curb, wheels left, touching the curb....
DOWNHILL with a curb, wheels right, touching the curb.....
UPHILL or DOWNHILL w i t h o u t a curb, wheels to the right.
Yes, parking brake on too!
Make sense to you?

The Mr. Pine
Rating
Up hill you turn the tires away from the curb. Down hill turn them into it.

atreyu_590
if ur parked up hill turn away from the curb if ur down hill tword the curb

motherseer
Rating
Turn them to the right (to the curb) when parking downhill, to the left (away from the curb) when parking uphill.

Firecracker .
You turn your wheels so the car will go to the curb if it moves.
When facing uphill, turn wheels to the left.
When facing downhill, turn to the right.

If you are where you drive on the left side of the road, it's the other way around.

Caretaker
With a curb, turn your wheels so a tire would roll into the curb if it started to roll. Without a curb turn the wheels so the car wold roll of the road.

Parked on the right with curb on right side of car.
Down hill - turn to right. Front tire will roll forward into the curb.
Up hill - turn to left. Front tire will roll back into the curb

Without curb always turn right.
Down hill - turn to right so car will roll clear of road.
Up hill - Also turn to right so car will roll back clear of the road.

If your parked on the left side with kerb on the left, reverse the above directions.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Wednesday, October 1, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy