Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Cars & Transportation Safety
Legal Discussion Forum

What is the most valueable thing that you leave or lock inside your car?
if you had and drove an old car with no alarm on it, what is the most valueable item you would lock in the glove compartment? how much would it be worth? of course no one is going to say jewelry, but ...

Can I put a trailer hitch on a 2002 Ford Mustang GT?
I also have a Kawasaki KLR 650 motorcycle and would like to be able to put the motorcycle on a small trailer with the Mustang. Does anyone know whether or not it is practical or possible to put a ...

Driving with incorrect tyre pressures is a contributory factor in lots of fatal accidents?
It should be an offence to have incorrect tyre pressures!!??...

CREEPY PHONE CALL!! HELP!!!!?
i'm 14 years old and i just received a phone call where this man was asking if my parents were there so i said.. um no. then i asked who he was and he said if i didnt go to school today. so i ...

By law you should park a vehicle paralell to the curb, a smart car parks head on, is this legal.?
two cars are paralell parked, and there is not enough space for another car, except a smart car drives into the gap with headlights to curb, which makes it harder for the two cars to move out. this ...

Your driving along...?
come to an intersection. Green light. Drive through. Your making sure no one is crossing. You have a car behind you. An all the sudden to your left. There are people crossing traffic. Not in your way....

What does negative attitude mean?

I was injured on duty, and off for 7 weeks, can I claim compensation?
I am a coach driver and trapped a nerve in my neck because I was sent out to do a duty in a coach that they knew was defective, but I was unaware of it. Once I informed them of the injury they called ...

I'm 14 and i just started driving when you turn in a parking space how should you turn in so you want hit any1?

Why do we have to wear a seat belt and motorcycle riders don't have to wear a helmet?

Could you die by gertting hit by a car?
could you die from getting hit by a car? like if you wer walking and you randomly got hit by a car could you die from that?...

In US is there really car pool's lane?

When do I have to signal whilst driving?

Is it necessary for people to shut off their cars while refueling?

What do u do about people tailgating you on the freeway?
i hate it when people follow too close. i dont drive slow or n-e thing. what do u do about tailgaters??...

What motorycyles are safe for teen boys to drive (on side streets, roads, no freeway driving)?

Does a firetruck have the right of way in every situation?
such as passing with a double yellow line on a rural road with no shoulder and if they choose to pass do they have to have on their siren as well as the lights
Additional Details
such as ...

Is it a good idea to Shift an automatic gear car to neutral while in speed (say exiting freeway) ?
I have '05 Honda (automatic) which I usually shift (drop) to neutral for e.g. while exiting freeway and get back to Drive whenever I want, my understanding is this can save some fuel. Will this ...

Question On how to handle this one situation?
Okay i was caught speeding 85/55 on the high way and was given a tickett and at the same time he gave me two more tickets one for weaving or changing lanes improperly and the other for tailgating the ...

If the maximum speed limit is 70 mph -Why do cars have speedometers that register up up tp 130 mph and higher?

Run Wild
What's the best vehicle to drive in ice and snow?
We've been getting pummeled with ice and snow here in Wa. esp. in the Mt. Rainier foothills where I live. I've seen my neighbors have varying degrees of success getting out of our neighborhood.
What would you rather drive:

Hummer H2 no chains
Ford F250 with or without snow tires (your choice)
Toyota Corolla with front wheel drive and chains
Kia Sorento no chains
Ford Edge with chains

Other:______________________________

Show all answers
Post your answer

UCANTCME
Rating
Front wheel drive is better than rear wheel drive in the snow. Four wheel drive is better still.

Pretty much any 4WD / AWD will cope well in moderate snow conditions.

If the snow is deep or you're going into hilly areas then an SUV is going to be your best option, failing that fit snow tires and / or snow chains.

In snow and ice the important thing is the amount of tire in contact with the ground so a vehicle with big tires is going to perform better than one with small tires. Good tread depth is important. You can also deflate the tires slightly to provide more surface contact with the ground (on ice and compacted snow).

Front wheel drive is better than rear wheel drive as the weight of the engine gives better traction. Adding extra weight provides more traction so if you have a rear wheel drive then put extra weight in the trunk.

The key to driving in snow is to maintain momentum and to plan ahead. Avoid breaking and changing gears wherever possible. If you do have to brake then do so gently, if you have anti-lock braking that can be turned off then turn it off (locking the wheels will stop you in a shorter distance in an emergency).

When approaching a hill or going up hill stick in a lower gear with the engine running fast, that way when you slow down you can delay having to change gear. Changing gear results in a loss of momentum and can cause the wheels to spin, when this happens it's difficult to regain control.

The car itself isn't really all that important - the driver and the tires are the important things. Even a tiny four wheel drive will perfom well in snow and ice conditions.

Useful things to carry when driving in snow - snow shovel, cell-phone, sacking to put under tires when you get stuck, warning triangle (also for when you're stuck), a hand-winch (unless the vehicle is fitted with a winch) complete with plenty of strong cable - suitable anchorage points in open hilly country are few and far between. Be prepaered to spend the night in the vehicle so take spare warm clothing, a flask, some food, sleeping bag, something to read.

As for which vehicle is best - it depends. If you're going to be spending a LOT of time in the snow then go for a Land Rover Defender (the vehicle farmers and the military use) but it's more of a workhorse than a family vehicle. The best AWD would be a Range Rover or a Land Rover Discovery - most SUV's are a hybrid between road vehicle and off-road vehicle, these are designed with people in mind but are more off than on road.

Some SUV's should really be called 'sidewalk vehicles' as this is as far off road as they get. Some of the better SUV / AWD's are BMW, Honda, Ford and Volvo.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

ryan chris
the sorento with the right type of tires does do pretty good off road. but i would suggest the car of choice for the columbia river gorge (the most regestered car in gorge) SUBARU. put studs on one of the following subarus (legacy outback, forester, and tribeca (formerly B9 tribeca) you will go just about anywhere. with subarus their suspention drops quite a bit so they can get through a lit of snow, plus decent gas milege and in 2010 the subaru boxer diesel comes to the states. another option would be a toyota 4runner. i know a few people who have new ones with the v-6 and they get milege in the low to mid 20s.

greendeere007
Rating
jeep wrangler rubicon. no doubt

patty
Around here we are having the same weather, see lots of snowmobiles, that would be my choice, because I cannot afford a Hummer.

tewellbox
I would go with the Hummer, my mother has a Hummer and she travels 25 miles on unplowed roads because we live in the middle of nowhere, we have 21 inches and she goes fine, the f250 gets to bogged down and then it gets stuck

Mr. Magoo
None of the above. My choice is a horse and a sleigh.

Sawman
Kubota tractor with chains :)

wolfkiss
Yesterday most people were using snowmobiles here. Even the plow trucks were getting stuck.

Mike K
Rating
hummer H1 like this http://www.desktopcar.net/wallpaper/6708-2/Hummer_H1_67.jpg or ford f250. everyone wants a hummer H2/H3 not me i want a H1

rlbjr22
I know that our snow down here in Texas is not as deep as you have in Washington, but, we have a good amount of ice, and I did spend one winter in Columbus, Ohio, and my Volkswagen Rabbit Diesel 5-speed, and now my Volkswagen Jetta TDI (turbo diesel), are my vehicle of choice by far. Oh, I've got a big Ford turbo diesel 4 wheel drive pickup truck, but my front wheel drive VW diesels beat anything else. Oh, and several winters, decades ago, in the 1970's, I drove a Honda Civic 5-speed, and that was as good in the snows of Tennessee as well as the snow and ice of Texas, so, those are my choices. God Bless you.

Tommy
I'd just stay home and send the wife out in a Hummer...:)

Life is good
Let me substitute the H2 Hummer for it's brother, the Chevy Tahoe with AWD - decent LT Snow tires and no chains. That way I have a vehicle that has the weight and the ground clearance to get through the 'heavy stuff' and I don't have to look at the Hummer.

The Ford F-250 with snows would be my second choice. Put enough weight in the back and they will crash through just about any kind of weather.

The last three choices I will pass on. Too much crap hanging under the front of the car to be effective in deep snow.

krazybob613
Rating
F-250 or Dodge Power Wagon 250 4X4 ( your choice of extended cab or crew cab ) with Aggressive snow tires and Chains for all 4 Wheels for your area!

Best site I have found for chains:

http://tirechain.com/

I just bought a set for my truck from them and they have the best selection and best pricing for light truck tire chains.
By the way, if you do purchase chains - buy a set equipped with CAM's - they make a world of difference in both installation time and in getting the chains properly tightened on the tire. Take my word for it - I can mount 3 pairs of chains on a Semi-truck & trailer in about 30 minutes flat - but only if they are cam type chains ... and be certain of this, I will never purchase any chains without cams ever again.

Any Front Wheel Drive or 4 Wheel Drive equipped with good snow tires will handle any reasonable amount of snow and ice. Of the two types, the 4X4 will grind through more snow, but ice driving is far more a driver skill critical issue. If your skills are marginal, the 4X4 will just let you get deeper into trouble faster!

In either case the tires are the most important piece of the puzzle. Choose actual snow tires, Cooper Wintermaster, Firestone Ice and Snow, and Hankook I-Pike are all excellent winter tires, capable of pulling you through the nastiest winter conditions.

Regardless of your vehicle and tire combination the most important thing to remember is to let the snow tires pull you through the snow and ice at reasonable speeds – 4 Wheel drive is no excuse for driving too fast for conditions, and if you forget that, for even one instant … you will be one of those pretty little SUV’s I see on a regular basis – UPSIDE DOWN IN THE DITCH!

PhilbertFlange
Rating
It depends on the severity of the weather.

Snow tires are a must, even before choosing a vehicle.
I'd go for anything front wheel drive first, as they're a bit easier to control on slippery snow than rear wheel.
If the conditions get worse, go for something that's 4 wheel drive.
Worse than that, and I'd go for something with chains, and something that's very wide (like the original hummer).
Anything past that and you may as well get a skidoo/snowmobile, or something with 8 wheels or treads.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Friday, October 24, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy