Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Cars & Transportation Safety
Legal Discussion Forum

Yield signs on Highway Mergers?
I find it strange that on an entrance ramp in many states they have a Yield sign(s), as you are to be near highway speeds when merging instead of requiring the highway traffic to make space for ...

Where is the safest spot for a car seat in your car?
My husband and I have been debating where the safest spot in our car is for our child. Is it the middle, left or right side? We own a minivan I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not ...

How do street lights know to change when you pull up?
I'm sure theres some type of sensors somewhere but I was wondering if anyone knew exactly where and what they are?...

What will happen if some lady stops you in a sub and she writes down my plate number and starts yelling at me?
she said her dad is the police chief should i worry and would i get a ...

Im afraid of the plane?
im going to california for my birthday and i have to go a plane byself to get to california.Im afraid the plane may crash or it will go into the water or something!What should i do?I dont want to let ...

What is your perception of police driving?
Under no circumstances am I having a go or moaning in anyway about police officers!

I require some background information on the public perception of police driving practices and standards....

Why driving 80mph above the speed limit it bad?!?
my friend doesn't believe driving 117mph down this road that is a speed limit of 35 can hurt anyone!?

please explain why, and how stupid this kid it please anyone?!
cause he won&#...

My 10 year old has 2 questions: Do airbags in cars work if the car is backing up fast and hits something?
His second question is: Is there anything like a seat belt or an airbag for motorcycles?...

Why do I ALWAYS get tailgated on the road?
It seems like every time I drive, people are always tailgating me. It's like one after another; I'll have someone tailgating me for a while then they'll turn somewhere and then someone ...

Can you put airbags on an old car?
I want a 1989 Lincoln Town car (don't laugh, I think it's the perfect gothmobile). I'd paint it a shiny black and the leather would be dark. But It doesn't come with airbags. Can ...

What is a turn signal?

If it is illegal to drink and drive, why do Bars have parking lots??

What are the different types of emergency vehicle sirens for?
Why do police, ambulances and fire engines use different sounding sirens? The ones I can think of are the slow rising/falling wail, the much faster yelping sound and then a really fast, irritating ...

Is this crash my fault?! I don't see how?
I def had a Monday! I was approaching a red light approx 600' the light turned green traffic was starting to move so i only decreased my speed to 35mph (speed limit is 45). Approx 300' from ...

How come people wont move out the left lane ????
Your in the passing lane going under the speed limit .. is so hard to move over ? i know there are times when u cant just move over.. but most of the time u guys just hog the lane .. then u wonder ...

Will DWI misdemeanor be reported to NCIC?

Why is there not a law stopping people from putting on makeup while driving?
Have you ever encountered these people? They can kill you! Some vain person who cant manage their time properly endangers your life as well as others to put on mascara? Those people should be ...

Car accident other driver negligent?
hi would like some advice, had an accident 2 days ago were was driving on straight road when van pulled straight out in front of me taking the front of my car with me and dragging it, was terrible ...

Do you think texting and driving at the same time is dangerous?

Car accident.did an illegal u-turn and hit me from behind just after i straightned my vehicle.who wrong?

rudy hiller
How tall do you have to be to not have a car seat?

Show all answers
Post your answer

Katie D
there's a commericial here thats on all the time that says "four foot nine is the magic number" !! but it may differ depending on where you live.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

ketchupklf
Height, weight and age guidelines are all estimates of when a child will *safely* fit in an adult seatbelt. It is just easier to give a 'number' (ie. 4 ft 9 in, 80 pounds, 8 yrs) when writing a law than to write out the full description of how a child should *fit* in an adult belt.

So legally.. you should check your state law to see what number they picked when writing your laws. But safety-wise... you should check the *fit* by this '5 step test':

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

If you answer 'no' to any of these questions... then te child *should* still be in a booster seat no matter what the law allows.

♫♪♫♪Jordy♫♪♫♪
you have to be 60lbs and/or 4 year old

katrina d
Rating
nfants Infant seats and rear-facing convertible seats All infants should always ride rear-facing until they are at least 1 year of age and weigh at least 20 pounds.
Toddlers/Preschoolers Convertible seats It is best to ride rear-facing as long as possible. Children 1 year of age and at least 20 pounds can ride forward-facing.
School-aged children Booster seats Booster seats are for older children who have outgrown their forward-facing car safety seats. Children should stay in a booster seat until adult belts fit correctly (usually when a child reaches about 4' 9" in height and is between 8 and 12 years of age).
Older children Seat belts Children who have outgrown their booster seats should ride in a lap and shoulder belt in the back seat until 13 years of age.

Ashers
ya the kids car seat goes by whieght

kelly_f_1999
goes by age and weight most states its 60 pounds or five yrs old but easy to go to your state dmv online and look it up states laws vary

semperfi732
Rating
it doesn't go by height, but usually its either 8 years or 80lbs is the general standard. Around the age of 5 or 6 you can take your child from a car seat to a regular booster seat. and remember till they are 13 they should always be in the backseat with a seatbelt on.

Happy mom 2 be the 4th time!:)
Rating
it varies from state to state, so i would check with you drivers license place and they can tell you what you need to know about the seats. Here in Illinois the child has to be 4'9 to be out of a car seat altogether.

mystic k
you mean the kiddie ones? think that goes by weight.

amazingly intelligent
The rules vary by state and often have to do with both height and weight. Try checking your Department of Motor vehicles website for information.

Scooby_Doo_meets_Jerry
Rating
They go by weight and the recommendation for booster seats is 65 to 80 lbs. The child's head is not supposed to go above the back of the cars seat. If it does they are too tall for the car seat or booster seat.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.024
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy