Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Cars & Transportation Safety
Legal Discussion Forum

Changing lanes in heavy traffic?
If you are in a lane, and need to change lanes in heavy traffic, can you stop and put your signal on? or do you need to keep driving straight until the other lane is clear?...

Can an infant ride in the front seat of a cargo van?
Cargo van is a 2 seater. Can an infant ride in the front in IL?...

Is it safe for a 10yr old to sit in front seat of vehicle that has a airbag?

How to keep future mother in law from taking gf's car?
My girlfriend has a drug addict mom who always takes her car whenever she isn't looking. Is there any simple way to prevent her from doing this? Her mom has created a copy to my girlfriend'...

GEORGIA PERMIT TEST AGE 15?
CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME WHAT U GET TESTED ON AND ARE THEY HARD AND WHERE CAN I GET A BOOK ABOUT PERMIT TEST?...

Do seatbelts lock if you are already at a stop and then hit from behind?

Is 100 mph legal anywhere in the USA?

Is there a way that a cab or taxi company can make it leagal to amound a bike rack to the trunk of a taxi cab?
I was just curious if they can make it leagal for a cab company to amound a bike rack to the trunk of a taxi cab on the outside of a trunk....

Whats the lowest your car can be for safty?
hi... i just bought a car and its lowered..i think two low... whats the lowest your car can be to pass safty? i can fit 2 fingers in between the tire and the wheel well and the car has low ...

What does it mean to redline?
I have a 2002 Pontiac Sunfire and a friend of mine previously had one. (His started on fire, so he obviously doesn't have it anymore.) My friend told me not to redline it, but I don't know ...

Is it ok to have my daughter in a forward facing carseat at 22lb and 11months?

What happens to the human body when it is in a head on collision? Does the impact kill them or a heart attack?
Why is it that a person sleeping may survive. My friend was in a head on collision that killed her, her son and her boyfriend, her daughter survived. She was in the smallest car that chevy makes. Did ...

Experienced drivers, do you still find yourself making "newbie" mistakes at times?
I've been driving for over 6 years and sometimes I just slip up. I'd like to read about your experiences!...

Safe to drive with 3 quarts?
I pulled out all teh oil in my car and realized that I had only 3 quarts of oil. i could drive to walmart which is about 5 miles and get the 4th to top it up, would that be ok or should I ask my ...

Continental Crash - How far are the button to push to talk to the ATC?
How far are the button to push to talk to the ATC? Where are they located - are they on the joystick, headsets or.....? I would be curious to know, since the pilot and co-pilot of the doomed prop did ...

Can police in uk use mobile speed cameras on roads with the national speed limit sign ?
IE ,do they have to have speed camera signs to up to be able to use speed cameras?...

Driving Knowledge Test Part 3 : Driving and Road Safety?
I keep failing my Driving Knowledge Test Part 3 : Driving and Road Safety questions. I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for me on what to study. I did the questions on the S.A.A.Q site. But i ...

I do have a 10 yearlold child with down syndrome. Am I permitted to get a disabled parking plate in TEXAS?

How is Rocky Point Safety?
I am going to rocky point, mexico, with my family. I am a young teen going to Rocky Point with my family. I have a question about the safety of traveling there. I am really scared to go there because ...

How many stop signs are in the world?

ian
How old does a car need to be to have seat belts?
1961 land rover 88 would this be required to have seat belts in i will be fitting them just wondering when the law came in and if your car was made before a certain age is it seat belt exempt thanks

Show all answers
Post your answer

Rapid Fire
Rating
I have a 1965 Chevy p/up and a 1958 Jaguar that have both been retrofitted with the finest seat belts that money can buy. In my part of the country only ''Historic'' cars are exempt from having seat belts installed and they may not be driven on public highways.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Martin P
Rating
Most cars in the early 60's and mid 50's seat belts were an option

desert camel
Rating
ide say if they were fitted as standard then they must be fitted...
if it wasn't originally made with belts then ide say you dont need them...

Dan W
Seat belts were required in 1965 models and later.

lcg.2263
Rating
not sure on the date that they are exempt but if you fit new belts they will come under mot rules in the yearly inspection

David F
Rating
1965 is the date seat belts became compusary fittings in the uk,but remember,even if your motor is pre ' 65 and you have seatbelts fitted you are required to wear them whilst driving on the public highway

Ronald cox
Rating
1963 cars and 1967 vans

Rock Firestorm
Rating
The only time you can drive without belts legally is if your car was made without them before they were mandatory. So if you do not have belts in the car and you have not installed them, you can legally drive without them. If you put them in, then it would be illegal to take them out.

⌡Mac⌠
In 1961 I am not aware of any manufacturers beside Ford and Volkswagen who installed seat belts as standard equipment. I believe seat belts became mandatory in 1964.

Correction: According to wiki, Saab was first to have seat belts as standard equipment.

The Tank
Rating
Your Landy was made before the law making fitting of seatbelts compulsory was passed.
This law is not retrospective so you don't have to fit them.

It is undeniable that wearing seat belts save lives, and prevent some horrible injuries. If you can fit some (and use them) then it is a good idea.
Unfortunately, On a '61 Landy it's difficult to fit seat belts that are actually secure enough to be useful. It's worth a go though.

You may well be a good driver, and your car is safe - but the idiot who hits you in his BMW X5, or White Van could cause you to rattle around loose in your relatively light Land Rover and cause you some very distressing personal damage. I've seen the effects od a similar incident and it wasn't nice.

Turtle 6
Rating
I don't know if there's any exemption, but any vehicle made in 1964 and later must be equipped with seat belts.

G6er
Rating
As far as i know, your car must have seatbelts if it came with seatbelts from the factory. I think some cars were a little different than others. (Say a company installed seatbelts 2 years before they were mandatory) They would still need to be in the car now. So in short, if it came with them out of the factory, you need to have them in it.

UCANTCME
Saab was the first car manufacturer to introduce seat belts as standard in 1958 for the Saab GT 750.

Volvo introduced it in 1959.

Most U.S. automobiles were sold with front seat belts standard in the 1964 model year. Rear seat belts were made standard in 1968.

J G
Rating
Pre 1965, it doesn't need seatbelts;

http://www.ukmot.com/5-1.asp#Text_top

Rockabilly
I have a 1963 Series IIa diesel and that definitely does not need belts.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Tuesday, September 30, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy