Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Cars & Transportation Safety
Legal Discussion Forum

How would it help if bendy lampposts buckled?
I am doing a science paper and one of the resources is about bendy lampposts. I understand the benefits if they bend but how does it help if the buckle?
Surely that just means that the car can ...

How to handle the glare while driving at night, from oncoming vehicles with high-beam on ?
I recently started driving in Chennai(India). I have been finding driving very difficult in the night when the oncoming vehicles have their headlights on high-beam. I'm literally blinded by them....

If I get locked in the tube station at night is there anyway i can get out?

When someone cuts you off in traffic, what do you do, if anything?

How many petrol stations blew up because someone used their mobile?
Years ago the British Government introduced the law that you couldn't use your mobile phone in Petrol Stations. Obviously some people have ignored it and some have accidentally forgotten to ...

Why do people have their headlights on during the day?

Why do Parents "Think" they are automatically qualified to "Teach Driving" when they really aren't qualified?
As an expert driving instructor, I am continually surprised at the arrogance of parents "believing" that they are just as qualified as I am to effectively train their teenager how to drive.<...

How can I fight a failure to single intention (failure to use directional/blinker ticket) ?
I was driving in a lane that became a left-turn must turn left lane. The lane is clearly marked, there is no questioning it was a left-turn must turn left lane. I stopped at a red stop light. The ...

What's the best vehicle to drive in ice and snow?
We've been getting pummeled with ice and snow here in Wa. esp. in the Mt. Rainier foothills where I live. I've seen my neighbors have varying degrees of success getting out of our ...

DUI or not?
How can a person still be charged with DUI after failing to blow the legal limit upon arriving at the police station? In our state ( Ohio ), the limit is .08. I blew .077, but was still charged. How ...

Would it just be easier if all American vehicles were to have a fixed speed limit?
I was just wondering...
I always hear about speeding issues just about everywhere I go. Even on the freeway I traveled there at least 75% or more people going at least 5 or more over the ...

Why is it important to wear a seatbelt even if a car has an airbag?

Do you think cell phone companies should be held accountable for cell phone related accidents?
Should they be required to make phones that will not work while in motion over 5 miles an hour?...

How do you feel about old people driving?
I've been thinking a lot about this lately, i've been seeing a lot of wreckless driving and when i peep to see who the person behind the wheel is, it happens to be an elderly person.
N...

I need to write a page on why its important to obey the traffic signs while driving?

Keeping the speed limit at 70 mph?
whats your opinion?...

Should pedestrians be made to wear helmets? (UK)?
In England, walking to a destination is more dangerous than even cycling (which is five times more dangerous than going by car) because motorists have a habit of running them over in their vehicles. <...

How much milk is supposed to be added to black tea?
When making some Tea, how much milk are you supposed to add? Also is it the same if you use whole milk, non-fat milk, or skim milk?...

Where should i hold the wheel while driving?
may someone tell me where should i hold the wheel while driving?? like on a regular bases, please don't just say whatever feels comfortable lol like i'd like to see answers like ...

What is the most valueable thing that you leave or lock inside your car?
if you had and drove an old car with no alarm on it, what is the most valueable item you would lock in the glove compartment? how much would it be worth? of course no one is going to say jewelry, but ...

Jaila's Mommy
How many feet should I leave between my car and the car in front of me when we are stopped at a light or sign ?

Additional Details
measurements if possible
ex 10ft 15ft 20ft...

thank you for all your answers

Show all answers
Post your answer

valicevorpal
About a foot to a foot and a half, that way if someone hits you from behind you have room to jerk forward before you hit the person in front of you. Remember, if you hit someone from behind regardless of what they were doing, you are at fault.

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

Evil
Rating
a foot and a half

JIM
In my short driving career of 5 and a half years I have encountered ram ins 8 times. I don't mind when my aincient (I sold it off, now using a not so old ford laser) MB 200E and if the guy behind me is something not so good. But the guy infront, once, I hit a Porsche. nearly took it to a lawsuit althought, honestly, it was just a cracked taillight and some scabs of paint. So, leave about 2 feet. That's my advice. I leave approx. 20 cm.

Scott D
Here's the rule of thumb (this was also displayed in Missouri's Drivers Test Manual):
When you are in the vehicle and you look in the rear view mirror and you cannot see the headlights of the vehicle behind you, that vehicle is too close. Theoretically, that's about a half to a full car length behind. So, for you, think about it that way. Do you think the car in front of you can see your headlights in his/her rear view mirror?

Aerostar
Miss Mav was the closest. The accepted standard is a distance that allows you to see the wheels of the vehicle ahead of you contacting the pavement.
That rule works for any vehicle except a commercial truck. In that case, at least half a car length (and make sure you stop where you can see the truck's side mirror.)

smartblond48
Rating
One car length is the accepted standard.

Jayson
Rating
10ft

terrified by spiders
Rating
I leave half a car. Don't get too close. If you get hit from behind, you can be pushed into the car ahead. Then you've got damage on both ends of your car.

Doubtful 360
Rating
About 15 ft

blackcobra487
Rating
The only thing wrong with Scott D's logic is that doesn't apply to being behind an SUV. You'd need to be a good 20-30 feet away from an SUV if you're in a small car for the driver to see your headlights. I'd go for the tire "rule of thumb" that was suggested. Make sure you can see the tires of the car in front of you.

netnoct23
I can't believe some of these answers .. a car length ? 10 ft ? crikey... that's gonna be one hell of a queue for the lights.

Anyway. Depends on the road your on. If it's flat then hardly anything just make sure you leave a foot or so to give time to react if the brakes fail. However on a hill maybe hold back a bit more.

In any circumstances I'd say no more than half to three quarters of the length of the vehicle in front is appropriate.

Imagine at a busy junction if everyone left 1 cars length, it would hold up traffic really bad, especially if there were lights.

bungee
whats it matter are you going to get out and measure. stop as close as you feel comfortable with but not more than 1/2 car length.

N8
Rating
Well if i can remember drivers education from many years ago, i believe they always told us leave enough room to where you can see the rear tires of the car in front of you when stopped.

Ms.M
As a rule, you should be able to see the rear tires of the car in front of you. You can use measurements, but there are reasons not to leave a whole car-space. Some cars will attempt to squeeze in. I am a retired driving instructor.
Also don't wait until the last minute to stop. If the passenger feels like screaming or pressing on the imaginary breaks, the driver is moving too fast.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.014
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Wednesday, October 22, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy