Home | Links | Contact Us | Bookmark
Legal Forum Search :
   Homepage      News     Legal Directories      Legal Forum      Dictionary  
Legal Forum    Cars & Transportation Safety
Legal Discussion Forum

Can I report my childs car seat stolen if her father took it out of my vehicle and won't give it back to me?
I was in a car accident and was transported to the hospital. I called my ex boyfriend to come and pick up our daughter because she was not injured. He took the car seat out of my vehicle and put it ...

How can I be a good (car) driver?
I want to learn how to drive and be a good driver, so i need to get to get the most information i can get on this topic, thanks....

Therewas a man screaming at the traffic,waving a bag.What should I do?

Higher speed limit signs, speed before or after the sign?
On my way to work, I pass though a few small towns. On the edge of these towns the speed limit goes up. Since I can see the sign 50-70 yards away, CAN I SPEED UP or past the sign first?...

Do pedistrians always have the right away????
My friend and I are in a debate about pedestrians always having the right away. Do they in any situation??
Additional Details
Ok some people are saying they always have the right away. ...

Untaxed vehicles on the road?
does the hotline for reporting untaxed vehicles to the dvla really work ? it does not seem to where i live....

Ive just bought a seven seater car?
And was wondering, is it legal for my kids to sleep on the folded back seats during long distances in the UK as they won't be wearing seat belts?...

When driving,why do people speed?

Does Anyone remember the crying Indian on the side of the road commercial?
Well now I'm that Indian if u know what I mean .. I'm going give the next person that litters out their car window a "pit maneuver "
Fines for dropping litter ("...

Reversing around a corner?
i'm learning to drive and has picked everything up really really well except one thing....Reversing around a corner! It's really annoying me cos i'm so so hard on myself and ended up ...

During this time of the year what is the worst call you can get?
During this time of year what is the worst call you can get ????mine is people trapped in a possible stucture ...

What is the SAFEST car in HEAVY snow/slippery conditions?
It's snowing incessantly in Michigan, the roads are FULL of snow!
My car is pretty but it's a 2WD sedan....I have realized it's kind of LIGHT too. It takes a lot of concentration, ...

I just got a citation today for driving with a child on lap on the front seat.?
I don't mind paying the fine but i want my driving record to stay clean. Is there anyway that can happen ? Also, the court date is in NOv. Do i have to go to it if i am going to pay the fine ? ...

Speed Limit?
Is there any thumb rule to identify the speed limit of a road, if I miss the traffic sign (Speed limit) before entering a particular road. Any feature of the road which will confirm the speed limit<...

Why do people brake and nearly come to a complete stop when there is a turn lane made for the purpose?
Anyone that has ever driven a car in the U.S. will understand my difficulty in understanding this behavior.
Additional Details
I appreciate the comments regarding the right turns, but I ...

What is one thing that another driver does that annoys you?
My biggest pet peeve is when someone pulls out in front of you and you have to slam on brakes so you won't hit them, then they drive at a snails pace after being in such a huge hurry that they ...

Is it really safer for school buses to stop at lighted, gated RR crossings?
than to just roll on through? I would think the chances of the bus stalling on the tracks while starting in motion would be much greater than a train materializing out of nowhere without triggering ...

How can the risks of winter driving be minimised?

Do you think opening the southern us border to Mexican trucks the right thing to do?
Bush is going around the senate and safety groups and says it will open by the end of the month. I don`t feel like he cares about safety!
Additional Details
mr. pine i realize they ...

How can i fix a crack in my wind shied?
There is a spot of crack on my windshield that needs to be fixed....

Sean Monro
How long can you drive before you must have a break? And how long must you have a break for?

Show all answers
Post your answer

1moe4u
A C.D.L. (Truck Driver) has to "shut-down" after 10Hrs. Driving or "On-Duty"(working-not driving) after 12Hrs. "unless driver is oil-field exempt" it is 15Hr. "On-Duty" status, but all must "Break" for a 10Hr. "Off-Duty" status.
It depends on what "Driving School" you go to or use. My employers "Driving-School" that is "Private" says; "Any Driver who feels "fatigue"(tired) should stop as soon as possible, at a safe location, and either get out and "stretch or walk" for 15mins. or take a 30min. "power-nap" then evaluate yourself. If too tired still then take a 2Hr. nap, and evaluate your condition.
A note: if you haul "Haz-Mat"(Hazardous Material) like I do; then you have to stop every 100Mi. or 2Hrs. to get out and check your load, truck, and walk to refresh yourself.
Above all; every driver should "pull-over" when they feel tired, to either "stretch or nap" so "fatigue" does not interfere with their driving and safety. It is better to be safe and late; than to be tired and dead, never to arrive to your destination!!!
You only know how much your body can take behind the wheel, so don't push it too far!
Good Luck on your travels!!

Was this answer helpful to you?  Yes  /  No

shorty_2_us
Rating
i can drive about 4-6hrs straight with popping those stay awake pills and i would need at least a 2 hour break!!! if i can sleep

Chefed#1
Rating
I have a spinal injury ,so when i take long trips i stop every hour and a half.If the trip is long I also take a meal break .
Regular breaks usually last 10 minutes.

K B
it depends on what you are driving. If you are driving with a tachograph, you must have at least 30minutes within the first six hours. Otherwise it is best to have a break every couple of hours if you are not used to driving long distances.

George K
Drive 8 hours,and break for four.

?
Whilst not defined in Law the Highway Code gives the basis and can be quoted in a court of law. It has the following to say in relation to tiredness and driving....

80: Driving when you are tired greatly increases your accident risk. To minimise this risk make sure you are fit to drive. Do not undertake a long journey (longer than an hour) if you feel tired
avoid undertaking long journeys between midnight and 6am, when natural alertness is at a minimum plan your journey to take sufficient breaks.

A minimum break of at least 15 minutes after every two hours of driving is recommended if you feel at all sleepy, stop in a safe place. Do not stop on the hard shoulder of a motorway
the most effective ways to counter sleepiness are to take a short nap (up to 15 minutes) or drink, for example, two cups of strong coffee. Fresh air, exercise or turning up the radio may help for a short time, but are not as effective

yvonne w
I,d say 8 hours with acouple of 15min breaks

Iain
Rating
Each person is different.

As you get older you need more frequent and more longer breaks -- with adequate water intake. Caffeine is also useful.

And ignore any Jeremy Clarkson type macho attitudes.

loopy_loo
you should have a 20 minute break every 2 hours!!!!

kevin m
if your refering to tacho you can drive 4.1/2 hours before taking 45 mins slit into 15 min breaks if normal driving comon sense

Robert
There's no law regarding this as far as driving a car goes however it is an offence to drive whilst you are almost asleep through fatigue therefore it is best if you were to drive no more than three hours at any one time and ate the first signs of tiredness open a window and pull over at the earliest and safest point in time.

With regard to the tachograph laws I have to disagree with what you have put in your answer (This is for answerer number one).

The tachograph law or should I say the driving hours law to give it it's correct title actually states that you must have a break of 45minutes within the first 4.5 hours of continuous or accumulated driving. However if you work for a 9-hour shift and during that time you do not accumulate 4.4 hours driving then you are not required by law to have a break.

Archive: Forum - Forum - Links - Links1 - Links2 - RSS - All RSS Feeds
Trusted legal information for you. 0.044
Copyright (c) 2007-2010 Find Legal Advice Friday, August 1, 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of use - Privacy Policy